Ekg Changes

gjensen

Has anyone else here experienced EKG changes?

I do not have any particularly concerning changes, but there are changes. I was comparing some old verses new, and there are changes, but I am still trying to learn how to read them.

To illustrate one is that I have recently developed a partial right bundle branch block.

Thanks Sarah, and Bigsky.

I have not had this discussion with my doctor. It was recommended for me to discuss the changes with the doc by an ER doc, but I am not clear on a couple of these changes.

This ER doc recommended that I keep a copy with me. He gave me a couple old ones to go with a couple new ones and pointed out some of the changes.

These changes are from no meds to no meds. I started reacting to the Norvasc, so it is on hold. No meds again.

Bigsky, that is interesting concerning your echo. What motivated them to check it again, or did they note dilation the first time? Keep us posted on that. I would be interested to know.

The partial right bundle branch block is not a big deal, it is just new. I am curious more because of the unmanaged spasms, and the sensation of new arrhythmias. They are different than the SVTs, PVCs, PACs, and pauses that I have become familiar with.

I am sure that no one will be able to say why. Can't help but be curious though.

Gjensen,

Please get the right bundle branch block checked out thoroughly. Last year my mom started having a lot of problems with fatigue, out of breath, dizziness. She was finally sent for a stress test. She never made it to the treadmill and the attending doc wheeled her over to the ER. She had a rt bundle branch block and even walking up and down a hallway, she couldn't get her heart rate over 42. They had to schedule her for an emergency surgery to implant a pacemaker. A bundle branch block basically means the nerves that make your heart muscle fire in that area are not able to receive signals from the central nervous system. It's like the connection has failed.

That is right Katy. So far mine is partial, and I am not that far along. It may go no farther, but it did catch my attention. It is just new.

I was looking at causes and there are many. Structural problems can read similarly etc. I dare not say much, because I know little about it.

How is your mother now?

She is better than she was but honestly has never been back to " normal". They just started her on beta blockers in January because there were some arrhythmias on her EKG. She didn't get the specifics so I'm not sure what they are. The bb are making her really tired. It's long acting, so I told her to ask the cardiologist if she can take it at bedtime instead of the morning. To be honest, I've been worried about her ever since this all first started. I can't figure out if this specific issue just took a toll on her or if there is something else wrong and the docs haven't found it. She is almost 70, so it may just be that it takes her longer to bounce back now. Thanks for asking.

That's great that an er doc did that for you. It takes a village. My Fam prac doc noticed my borderline echo from nov2013... My local cardio at that time didn't bat an eye. Over a year later it's now mild and my arch is dilated. No explanation. No expectation. Repeat echo in 6 months. Frustrating.

Sarah.... Interesting about the changes in EKG on medication.

Katy.....sorry to hear about your mom..hope she improves daily

Everybody.... We all get ekg testing, most of us holter monitor.... Are echo tests, MRI and stress tests essential as well? Any doc I've seen thus far has said your heart is healthy. No need for further heart testing unless it would make me worry less. I wish! Worry less. Thanks for keeping us updated gjensen

Hi gjensen. My EKG's in many years past used to show a right bundle branch block as does my fathers but then my right bundle branch block abnormality spontaneously disappeared and was replaced by a left axis deviation abnormality. That abnormality now shows up every time. Mayo required a cardiac MRI which showed scarring in the upper septum of my left ventricle. I guess the scarring could interfere with conduction. Do you have any echo abnormalities as well ? Mine used to just show moderate mitral valve regurgitation which is an old finding but now the last two echos show moderate pulmonic valve regurgitation as well. It can all be a bit disconcerting I know. I hope you get this sorted out. I'm sorry you're not able to tolerate the Norvasc.

Janet

Psalm, mine did show mild mitral valve regurgitation, and another, but I do not remember which. This was almost two years ago, and I have had no other. I will look back at the results. I am going to have to look up left axis deviation abnormality. I think I know what it is.

Yes, the Norvasc experiment was short lived. I did well initially, and I wonder if it did not help some. I think that I will react to almost anything right now. I reacted to Ritz crackers tonight, LOL.

Bigsky, this was a good ER doc that had some common sense. He had a practical approach. I liked him. The main reason I went was the nitro was not cutting it, and I had hoped to get "it caught". It did not work though. It was relieved by the time I was seen.

Katy, I will be wishing your mother well. You can tell her that a stranger asked how she was doing.

GJenson, I sure hope this all gets sorted out for you. I certainly understand the effort of trying to 'catch it' when it's happening. It would be great if you could get a full cardiac work up . Not sure what that would entail exactly but if I were in your shoes, I would certainly want every branch and channel and chamber and highway checked out fully! We all know you are good hearted so I hope you get a full "good hearted" check up! God bless.

ER doc is right - talk to your doc about the changes. EKG tracings are very much dependent upon the accuracy of the lead placement, experience of the EKG technician, movement and position of the patient, and believe it or not, the electrical flow in the room where you are being tested. In my many years in the ER, I have performed EKG's and interpreted them and found that sometimes I could do a back-to-back tracing and get different readings. If there are a lot of electrical devices on in the room, they can interfere with the tracings - it can be quite maddening to get an accurate EKG.......I always try to remember to treat the patient, not the monitor....

Thank you Soskis.

It looks like it is the last three of four. None before. It does not appear to be anything to be concerned with. My cardiologist has an appointment for me with the autonomic clinic @ Vanderbilt. He does not want to comment on the changes until then.

Glad to hear you have an appoinment at Vanderbilt gjensen. You should hopefully get some answers there. Let us know how it goes.