Wondering If I Should Try To Get Pregnant

jknh9

I know there are a million posts about pregnancy and POTS, but I was hoping to get some feedback on my situation. I have POTS with crazy tachycardia episodes--last time I went hiking, I topped 215 bpm and felt like I was going to die. I take Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Mestinon. If I don't, I have fainting episodes and feel like "heck." (Not sure how strict the curseword filters are :P) I also have NCS and irregular heartbeat. I've also been diagnosed with depression and panic disorder but I'm not sure if it's truly panic or just adrenaline surges, which I get a LOT from the POTS. I know arrhythmia and tachycardia puts me at risk for stroke.

I currently work 3 part-time jobs, two of which are from home, because I can't handle the couple of full-time office jobs I've had. The last one I had, which I was super excited about (and posted about here back in June), I crashed and burned the first day and quit. Continuous adrenaline surges/nausea at my desk, felt like I was going to faint for 3/4 of the day (maybe due to fluorescent lights? not sure), and afterwards had full-body tremors, dizziness, and weakness for hours and couldn't eat due to nausea.

I have a pretty decent balance in my life now, but recently I met someone... he really wants biological kids, but A) I'm not sure it's safe for me, and B ) I'm not sure if I would be able to care for a baby properly after giving birth. I'm almost positive I wouldn't be able to bring in much money during the pregnancy period. With the irregular heartbeat and my sensitivity to drugs, I'm also terrified of giving birth. A couple of years ago, I had to have an emergency root canal, and the local anesthetic triggered a huge reaction: fainting in the chair, crazy high tachycardia, a flare-up of other symptoms that lasted for days, etc.

The medications I take make it possible to do the jobs I have and earn a living, as well as do daily things like clean, shower, and grocery shop. I have come off of them before and the results were horrible. I would be terrified of being pregnant while being on these meds, but being off of them is also terrifying because I know what happens when I'm not medicated. There is also the issue of readjusting to going back on meds after pregnancy if I were to go off, and the adjustment period is incredibly difficult for me.

The two of us are talking marriage, but of course I'm incredibly anxious about this. Most women can just take this stuff in stride, but as a woman with POTS, it's something I have to take much more seriously and give a lot of thought to (I'm sure a lot of you can relate). I am open to adoption, but it's likely we will be living in his country, where adoption is not as socially accepted and can be difficult. Surrogacy is incredibly rare there.

If anyone has been on meds while pregnant or has struggled with this decision, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I haven't yet discussed particulars with a doctor because I'm waiting to see a new cardiologist now. I'm a Type-A planner, though, and I want to have all the information I can :)

I think it is great that you are thinking through these questions now, especially with your health concerns. Also in general I think it is good to talk through expectations/plans with a potential spouse prior to getting married.

Your situation sounds complicated due to all the meds you are on, and symptoms, and it would be best to consult with a high risk OB/gyn.

I think beyond that, no one can predict what a pregnancy would be like for you. Some women w POTS feel incredibly better during pregnancy (esp after the first trimester). Others get worse with pregnancy. Others feel worst post partum.

In my case, I had no diagnosis and only minor POTS symptoms prior to pregnancy. The 2nd and 3rd trimester brought on full blown POTS. With no diagnosis I became more and more ill until I had to leave my full time job. Post partum I was even worse and sick for months. Key though was that I was not diagnosed. So I had no treatment options. I think knowing what you have and what options are available to use or try can make a huge difference. But again it is advisable to discuss these questions w a high risk Ob/gyn.

Best wishes!

Thanks, MomtoGiuliana! I really appreciate your sharing your story with me :) Thanks for the advice about consulting a high-risk OB/gyn. I'll do some research and see if I can find one who has experience with dysautonomia patients. That would be ideal!

Like a lot of us, I'm type-A and believe in planning far ahead :lol: