Any Suggestions For Serious Intestinal Dysfunction Issues?

lynnie22

Until August, I had my digestive problems, but since a colonoscopy in August, it's like my digestive process has shut down. The timing may be coincidental, I don't know. It's as if nothing in my intestinal tract is moving properly-- or at all -- without lots of aids and even then, it's totally not normal. I don't want to become dependent upon laxatives. I honestly don't know what has happened. My internist suggested that this could be pots related and an autonomic dysfunction although my gastroenterologist thinks that's ridiculous and so I'm supposed to take bran and colace and miralax.....

I've started taking a probiotic which hasn't helped yet....No matter what I eat, if I don't take something, I become impacted.

Any suggestions on what to do or what could be going on??

Thanks a lot.

Lynnie

I'm sorry you're going through this. I've heard of lots of people having either problems or resolutions to problems after a colonoscopy clean-out. I'm wondering if you are on probiotics? The clean-outs can seriously disrupt and wash away you normal gut flora. It couldn't hurt to try a good probiotic if you aren't already taking one. And make sure you are drinking enough and getting some appropriate exercise.

I had this problem earlier into my illness. Hopefully you will get some relief like I did. I did take probiotics daily for some time, then periodically for maintenance. I do not know whether or not to credit my improvement to the probiotics.

Autonomic dysfunction can certainly cause intestinal problems.

Your GI could do a gastric emptying studying to see if you have gastroparesis. I agree with others about probiotics and they do vary. The one that I found useful was florastor, culturelle did nothing. Also, if your GI thinks its ridiculous that it would not be related to dysautonomia then you might want a second opinion. Regardless, your GI should still work you up for symptoms and try other testing.

Thanks so much for answering! Sometimes with all of this, I feel very alone. Yes, I have been taking culturelle, but as you say, Jackie, it isn't helping. What is florastor? A friend of mine who does colonics (I had one, unfortunately that too did very little to help) suggested Prescript Assist, a 27 strain probiotic, heavy duty. Yes, the gastric emptying study sounds like a good idea. I've been trying to reach this other Gastro person who might be amenable to that. In the meantime, besides probiotics, what in the world can I do?

I'm really sick of taking all this other stuff which doesn't even work that well, and I think it may hurt.

Gjensen, may I ask, what do you credit for your improvement?

Florastor is just a different one that a gi doc recommended to me once. I think everyone tolerates probiotics differently though so its not a one size fits all approach. A lot of people will try kefir or other things too. One may be good for you while another may cause discomfort. You could always switch up your diet too and see if that helps. I really think a good GI doctor could help you though.

Hi Lynnie,

I may be mistaken (since my GI issues are at the opposite end of the spectrum ) but I feel like I've read on here and my EDS forum on several occasions that a low fiber diet is recommended for people with gastroparesis. It's worth checking into since it sounds like the GI has you taking extra fiber. I really hope this gets better soon as any extreme in GI function is just miserable.

Talk soon,

Katie

Lynnie22, I have credited the improvement to the probiotics, but I do not want to be misleading. I have had a lot of things get better. Some to come back, some to stay gone. I could not honestly say that for some odd reason, it did not get better on it's own. I can say that I started taking probiotics, and I did get better. Before it did, I really struggled. I was constantly taking a stool softener or laxative.

I do believe in the benefits of probiotics. It would not hurt to take them for some time.

I hope that you get some relief soon. If you do not, ask for the study.

Gjensen, just to have a couple of possible probiotics, do you remember which one you took or take? Thanks.

Katie, since I don't know if that is what I have yet, it's hard to know. But I have been sorely lacking in fiber for a long time, except for what the gastro has added to my diet. Meaning I think I am pretty deficient in fiber, except for the bran he added. I'm beginning to think becoming a fruitarian for a short time might be the answer. But if I ever get in touch with the gastro (we have been trying each other all week without success), I will get that test. Thanks again Jackie.

Actually I wonder if what is going on is severe inflammation of my intestinal walls. But how do you tell.

I'm sure you are probably already doing this but my GI doc said at one point that we should be drinking water either along with the fiber or immediately afterward or else the fiber will just "get stuck" and cause more constipation. I wasn't going for about 8 days at a time at one point. But, as some others have said, sometimes the opposite problem happens for me as well. Now, I am having malabsorption issues but my pancreas tests came out fine. So, for me, it seems to be a riddle wrapped in a conundrum. Lol. I wish I could be more help! It is very frustrating.

Thanks, gjensen. It is good to have a couple of recommended choices since the one I'm taking isn't working. Hi Raisin, yes I know the fiber without water is adding a problem. It's strange, no matter how much water I drink it is never enough lately. I think the constipation helpers which absorb water from the system and the fiber are probably taking all the water away from everywhere else, but still no success. Yeah, I don't have the IBS type swings, only this one way -- not going. I am ordering new probiotics today and hope to do better eventually.