Biofeedback

FarmerAmy

I tried sending a message to Gemma, but wasn't successful. I thought I would post my message here in case others find my message helpful.

Hi Gemma,

I'm so sorry I'm just getting back to you. I haven't been on DINET for a while. Biofeedback helped me a lot. It didn't "cure" me, but I think it gave me a lot more control over my symptoms.

I think it depends what is causing your POTS symptoms. I know I have adrenal fatigue. I also think my sympathetic nervous system is overstimulated. Biofeedback is perfect for helping someone like me.

I live in Boulder, CO and found a local biofeedback practitioner. I highly recommend finding somebody who uses Heart Math software/equipment. Heart Math is a respected institute that has a lot of scientific research backing up their products.

I think my biofeedback sessions were about $80 each and I went to 6 or 8 weekly sessions before I learned enough to continue on my own. I now use the Inner Balance app by Heart Math on my iPhone.

My first biofeedback session was really eye opening. I leaned that I breathe so fast that I am basically hyperventilating all the time. My instructor taught me how to do deep belly breathing. For the next week or two all I wanted to do was lie down and do belly breathing. It was the first thing that ever helped me relax my mind and body.

I learned about heart rate variability (HRV) and how important that was for me. We also looked at things like body temperature and muscle tension, but those weren't as big for me.

You would probably know after 1-2 sessions if biofeedback could help you. And I'm pretty sure the Heart Math web site can help you find a practitioner in your area.

Good luck!

Amy

Hi Amy!

I do like biofeedback with deep belly breathing very much too - but only when I am lying down really flat, then it is wonderfully relaxing.

However, when I try to deep belly breath when I am upright (standing, walking) I get presyncopal almost immediately! Especially the breathing out leads to shudders through my belly...

Therefore I always do a very, very shallow and extremely slow (!) breathing when I am upright. That keeps my HR slow too. (mostly).

Did you also experience this extreme difference with deep belly breathing and posture?

Best wishes for even more improvement!!