Transcranial Doppler Ultrasound

Raisin

Hi everyone. I am really disappointed in myself. My neurologist ordered a transcranial Doppler ultrasound because I have bad leg ataxia when I have been upright (sitting or standing) for awhile. This, of course, was done while I was laying down. There was only 29% stenosis (mild I am assuming) bilaterally in the carotids. It also mentioned I was in the upper limits of blood flow velocity for my age range. I am really angry with myself because I should have asked for the tech to do this while I was at least sitting up. I think he may have seen a whole different picture re the blood flow velocity if I had done that and if i was in the upper limits already, it wouldnt have taken much to throw it into the abnormal range, right? Why didn't I do that? I remember that I just thought I didn't want to be a difficult patient. I feel like a real loser because I didn't have the guts to just ask. Now, I feel like it is just another wasted test showing nothing because I was laying down! I am sitting here crying because I didn't stand up for myself. How can I get the help I need if I don't do things correctly for myself? Help please. Sorry to be a bummer.

I know how you feel. I so often used to bite my tongue because I didn't want to seem pushy....especially with techs for testing. I thi g it's worth the fight with the Fort to call the doc and ask if it should have been conducted differently and if it should be repeated with a different position. Tell the reception/assistant you had a test and think it may not have been done properly and want to ensure you have proper results before your next visit so you can review them with the doc. Just for future, what I've learned to do is actually ask the doc who is ordering the test to review the procedure with me. I ask questions of the doc and ask if any modifications are needed to accommodate for the POTS. If they say yes, then I ask them to note it on the order and I also discuss it at the time I make the test appt and when I get to the appt itself. It gives me the opportunity to say "my doc wants it this way and I just wanted to make sure you saw the note on the order since it's different from the normal routine."

Don't be upset or beat yourself up about it; we all do it. I just saw my neurologist a month ago, and I forgot to show him pictures of my Lyme rash. Even though I was treated by my primary care physician, that was kind of important, don't you think! :huh:

Hmmm...I replied but it isn't here. Maybe I logged out before it posted. Sorry!

katybug...thanks for the advice. It is good to "pre ask" so to speak!

And Bellgirl, thanks for making me realize we all do this in some way at some time. We are not alone. And, yes, I would think a Lyme rash would be a good point to bring up! Lol. Maybe you can text a photo of it!

Don't feel like you're a bummer, you are not! We have all been there and make mistakes! It may be the case that your neuro understands and will take into consideration that you were supine which may lead to a different outcome. Being tired makes you extra vulnerable, you may feel better once you've rested and feel up to break into the fort!

Thanks Corina! Yes, I rested and I do feel better. What is so funny is that I was finally able to figure out how to get my picture on here and that lifted my spirits. :)

Now, I can start my fort attack planning. First I will need the blueprints of all the physician's offices. Then, I shall devise a hot air balloon ride over the exact office where I will drop my questions in a vacuum sealed contraption......the possibilities are endless. Lol.