Lip Biopsy Thursday?...advice?

Raisin

Anyone have a lip biopsy for Sjogrens that can provide advice? Is my lip going to be swollen for awhile? Will it hurt alot or just a little? should I go by myself or have someone go with me? I don't usually get nervous but I think it's just the idea of them cutting into my lip that sounds kinda freaky. I'm usually pretty good with pain though.

Thanks Rich. I am going to go on my own. You did mean local anesthetic, right? This is a dermatologist but this is the only thing he does at the Cleve Clinic. My rheumatologist said he is the only doc at the clinic that does this procedure. I find that odd but maybe she is right and if so, he does quite alot of them apparently as it took me three months to get in.

Good luck, Raisin! I just saw my neuro at CCF this week and he is referring me for a lip biopsy. I was unable to get the test scheduled while I was there, but I have the phone number for Dermatology to schedule it. It makes me feel better to know you are also going to Derm to get yours done. The doctor must be good if that's all he does! But you're right about the timing, my neuro said they're scheduling into Dec. and January next year.

I'm a bit more worried about the healing process than the procedure. I had skin biopsies done on my leg over a year ago and the raised bumps that formed over the missing skin are still there. But if the incision is stitched, maybe there won't be a bump afterwards.

Yes Aeris. Few points to mention for you....

When I got to my appt., I mentioned that my rheumatologist said the doc (Dr. Fernandez, dermatology, downtown Crile Bldg.) was the only one who does these lip biopsies and she said that that isn't the case at all. I was like, whaaaaat? My rheumatologist seems fairly new to the clinic so maybe she misunderstood something or maybe she just thinks he is that good? Anyway, it went fine and he was super nice and so was his nurse Laurie and also he had a nice resident in with us named Dr. Wong. He did the procedure and explained everything before and during to me. It wasn't any longer than about 5 mins. For the actual procedure and 3 stitches later, I was done! The only pinch was the numbing shot which was easier than a dental shot for sure. They said they will call me with the results. He actually said that HE will call me with the results. I must have had a shocked look on my face because I am used to a stranger calling me with test results for every other doc (therefore leaving it majorly difficult to ask a question) and I said, "YOuuuuu are going to call?" They all laughed. After the numbing wore off, it was moderately painful (Advil necessary) but I woke up this morning pretty darn good. I just have to be careful chewing because my bottom teeth feel like they want to pull on the stitches a bit. I don't even think anyone would notice that my lip is slightly swollen. A little lipstick and voila! Lol. You have to stick to soft foods the first day and nothing hot (tea, coffee) or spicy so keep that in mind. I don't have a bump which may be because of the stitches like you said although I don't have bumps per se( just red marks) where my skin biopsies were. Let us know please how it goes!