Midodrine

Katybug

Has anyone who tried midodrine actually ended up with lower bp? My neuro put me on it about a month ago for narrow pulse pressure (my bp was in the 90/76 range sitting and 90/80 standing.) That is lower than I had been in about 2 years and the first time I had narrow pulse pressure. Since I've been on the midodrine, I have experienced some of the lowest bps of my life....an all time low of 64/42 at my immunologist's office last Tuesday and that was an hour and a half after I took my midodrine. Just wondering if anyone has experienced a paradoxical effect from this med. My bp was obviously becoming low anyway so I'm not sure if the midodrine just isn't helping what was already a trend or if it's making it worse. Whichever.....I feel awful! :-[

I know that for me, the midodrine doesn't raise my blood pressure at all. I thought it would help raise it but it stays the same. But, it does help me tremendously in the function factor. Without it, I think I pretty much have only a teaspoon of blood actually reaching my lungs and my brain. Lol. I wonder what others experience also. I have noticed my diastolic is going below 60 alot but this is at night when the midodrine should have "worn off"?

Yes - there is a paradox with midodrine. Initially, my pressure rises and I feel better, think better, and function better. As soon as it begins to wear off, my pressure drops again (often lower than before) and I feel rotten. The positive lasts anywhere from 1-3 hours and the negative lasts until I take another midodrine!

i take midodrine on and off because I have orthostatic hypotension and labile hypertension - i end up taking my bp to decide what to do - I would absolutely agree that it helps with my ability to think - today my bp was low and i struggle tremendously to get out the door to work - i almost backed into the closed garage door! i am super crabby right now about things...but am grateful for the midodrine!

My understanding is that midodrine is very short acting which is why you can take it during the day and stop it at night to prevent supine hypertension while sleeping. I'm not a doctor, but I would think that based on this, you would notice rather quickly if her bp is terribly low or her symptoms are significantly worse once she's off of it. I would think you'd see it within a day or two.