Swelling Behind Knees - Blood Pooling?

Mermaid

For the last few months I've had swelling behind both knees on standing, (in the back of knee cavity), that disappears when lying. There is a feeling of fullness behind both knees and some mild stinging pain.

I have had an ultrasound to check for Baker's Cysts (from possible arthritis) - the results show no Baker's Cysts but some 'venous and vascular congestion'. The rheumatologist feels that this is 'probably due to POTS syndrome'.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had anything similar?

i've searched the forum and it seems Michele (I believe the forum founder?) had the same in 2004 but can't see anything more recent.

I already take Midodrine 10mg and Propranolol 10 mg.

Barbara

• 2 months later...

I think it sounds like varicose veins, barb10. I have developed a couple in the last year and I think they are part and parcel of EDS and circulation issues. One is in a place where it is very uncomfortable as I sit on it!

I may be wrong but there is a link with EDS and varicose veins:

What are the main symptoms and signs of Hypermobility Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome?

There can be considerable variability in the condition, even within the same family. Some people have joint hypermobility but do not have any other symptoms. Others can be more severely affected. Individuals with HEDS may have the following features:

• Joint hypermobility with the joints having a wider range of movement than usual.
  • Loose, unstable joints that can lead to dislocations and subluxations.
  • Joint pain and fatigue.
  • Easy bruising.
  • Gastrointestinal dysfunction.
  • POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) causing fast heart rate, dizziness and fainting.
  • Mitral valve prolapse, a heart valve abnormality which is usually only mild in HEDS.
  • Uterine, rectal or bladder prolapse.
  • Urinary dysfunction.
  • Varicose veins.

- See more at: http://www.ehlers-danlos.org/what-is-eds/types-of-eds#hypermobile

I hope that may help?

TC

Hi barb10

Could it be to do with nerves or circulation in the joint so may well be the congestion the doctor suggests? You can get itching and stinging if there are issues. Hard to say really.

On the other hand varicose veins do sting. I get that in the couple of places I have problems. One vein is red and itchy/stingy. Sometimes it seems to flatten and disappear and other times it feels like I am sitting on barbed wire. If your problem is varicose veins then the best thing is to elevate legs and not stand too long as this causes congestion and stagnation in the veins. Lots of my friends who are hairdressers have varicose veins and some have have had surgery. Mine haven't popped too much but when I mentioned the one on my btm to my doctor she said they may not want to do anything about it because of the EDS. I think she's a little confused with vascular EDS though.

I hope you can sort it out and feel more comfortable.

TC