High Igm But No M Proteins Found.

Raisin

I apologize but I mentioned this before but I couldn't understand what exactly was tested and I was too sick to reply on time. My new rheumatologist tested for rheumatoid arthritis (rf fine) . She ran a panel that tested IgG, IgA and IgM. The A and G were in normal range. The IgM was high. (387). But, at the bottom of the result it said no M Proteins found and she noted no evidence of rheumatoid arthritis. My question is this. Is this something to mention to my new neurologist next week or because there were no M Proteins found, does that mean that it really doesn't mean a hill of beans? I think this is all too complicated for me so I will let the docs do their work but I don't know if I should even point it out as anything significant.

Hi Raisin,

I did not not what this was but here is a pretty good article to read about the M protein. Maybe this will help. I would let your new neurologist know this test has been ran ,

http://www.wardelab.com/10-1.html

It is relevant that the IgM is elevated. The are polyclonal and monoclonal subtypes of IgM. The M protein test checks for the monoclonal proteins subtype which are associated with some cancers so it's good that was negative. But having elevated IgM does usually mean there is some sort of acute or active infection. The polyclonal subtype covers bacteria, viruses, other microorganisms. I don't know what the normal range is so I don't know how far out of range you are. I had a test where my IgM was only one point outside of the high range and was told that it wasn't considered pathologic because it was within the standard deviation.

Thanks Looneymom and Katybug!

Let's see...the test said it was a blood test for monoclonal IgM which was elevated. The normal range said 54-354 I believe and my number was 387. But, in reading Looneymom's article, it seems the M Proteins are often found more often in the urine than in the blood. so, I think I will mention this to him on Tuesday. I hope he is a Sherlock Holmes because that is what I need right now.

Also Katybug, IMO I feel that the normal ranges start and end at number for a reason. I think I would be inclined to have them recheck at some point to see if yours is still hanging where it is or if it hopefully has gone down. Maybe I am wrong but a double check would put my mind at ease.

Raisin,

You made me chuckle. I have had that argument (about there is a range for a reason...why is there a "normal range" and also a standard deviation? ) I have more than one test that consistently comes up 1-3 points above the normal range and always get the standard deviation routine. I work with a handful of really great docs and it's probably one of the things that frustrates me the most. If I was a totally healthy person 1 point outside the normal range on something then I don't think I'd care but seeing as how I'm not healthy, I always wonder about these items.

GJenson, was your test a blood test? The article that Loomeymom cited discusses a 24 hr. urine also. I sure hope the hematologist has some valuable input for you.

Katybug, yeaaaaw! Don't you think the standard deviation would be built in to the range to begin with? Maybe not, eh? It certainly is a good question and I understand exactly what you are saying about "if I was totally healthy..." If I felt great, I don't think I would care about why I have any of these oddities going on. Of course, the question Why has proven to be a bad road for me to go down in my life anyway. Ie. why did she say that? Why do people abuse animals? Why did he leave me? .......never a good place to set up camp. I'd rather check into Hope Hotel. Ha!