High Igm ....does It Mean Anything?

Raisin

Just had an appt. with a rheumatologist. I have had alot of tests re paraneoplastic and autoimmune antibodies. The only thing that really showed up so far is high IgM. RF was negative for rheumatoid Arthritis which I thought might be my cause of Pots. I still have leg ataxia and now have joint pain in my hands symmetrically and fatigue as my new symptom visitors. I am starting to lose faith in figuring this out. I tested negative re AnA ACH, etc. but also have dry eyes, mouth so I may go ahead with a lip biopsy for possible sjogrens. I am thinking I will just lay in bed and give up. Any ideas why IgM might be elevated? IgA ok. IgG ok. .Sorry if I am being a downer. I am losing my sense of humor.

Hi Rasin

Hang in there and don't get discouraged. I have been going through my son's testing. His IgM was in range. Did they check your IGG subclasses and C4 complement?

C4 checks for disease activity level in systemic lupus, glomerulonephritis, rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmune hemolytic anemia. My son was at 20 and the range is 15-59. My son hurts all the time. I'm going to see if we can get this number rechecked?

Hi Loonymom. I think they tested IgG and it was normal and C4 reactive protein. Normal. To be honest, it is getting way too complicated for me and I used to pride myself on figuring things out. I need a Sherlock Holmes doctor apparently. I have access to one of the top hospitals in the world but I can't seem to find the Sherlock that works there. I have an appt. with a new neurologist on July 15. I feel like something autoimmune is going on and the little fight I have left in me is actually not for myself but for family members way down the line that might have to deal with this. Maybe my finding an answer will help them, right? If it is genetic somehow I mean.

Corina. Thank you so much for the encouragement! I try not to feel sorry for myself but in reality, I guess I am! If I felt great, I probably wouldn't care what is causing all of this. Maybe I need to just put the mission flag down for a few weeks and take a deep breath. I know God has gotten me this far so I have to have faith that he is working behind the scenes even if I don't see the obvious.

Don't give up! I could do with all the in put you have on this subject. A while ago my daughter was tested for possible immune dysfunction due to recurrent strep infections. The consultant got in touch requesting re do of bloods as her IgA and IgM were above ref range, second bloods same thing the Dr. run tests to rule out myaloma etc, which I guess it must have as the Dr. said results were all ok and her problems are most likely due to her gastroparisis!

I am still concerned re the whole raised IgA and IgM thing though and still seeking some answers.

Hi raisin,

Just needed to clarify a few things. Was the high igm part of the Total quantitative immunoglobulins (TQI), which includes igg, iga, igm, igd and ige; or elevated for a specific disease test like the arthritis panel? Titers can be run just for specific diseases and can means something completely different then checking the total immunoglobulins. Another factor at play can be your sex as well as your age range.

If it was part of the TQI panel, then it helps to also know the range that was used and where all your immunoglobulins fell in those ranges. If this was the test that was done and only the igm was out of range then your doctor needs to further work that high igm up, probably by a hematologist. It may be some kind of monoclonal gammopathy. It can also point to infection, do you know if you have a normal cbc w/differential panel?

Here is a link to mayo's lab test definitions on this lab test: http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/8158

Also here is a link to primaryimmune.org and their definition of hyper igm, it can't hurt to explore the other areas of this website as well: http://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiencies/specific-disease-types/hyper-igm-syndromes/

Hope this helps further your research, so you can ask your doctor informed questions.

Raisin, you and I are in a similar place. I see a hematologist July 15th. From what I understand, it is not out of the question to get unspecified spikes in the results. If nothing specific is revealed, they may want to check it again in the future.

I am sorry that you do not feel like you have gotten anywhere. There is noting wrong with taking a step back and evaluating the situation.

Hi everyone! Thank you for your responses! I am copying my tests so that I can answer the antibody testing more clearly. I believe the IgM was run with IgG and IgA as an arthritis panel. I will answer more tomorrow as I'm trying to figure this out. I was getting anxious about not understanding these tests. I want to say more when the brain fog lifts a bit.

I am also focusing on trying to pull myself up by my bootstraps (again). I appreciate soooo much the help and encouragement. We will get through this together.