Central Vs Obstructive Apnea ??

valiz

I had a sleep study done. When I went back in for my follow-up OV, I was told I have a great deal of sleep apnea and am supposed to have another study done with C-PAP. I don't snore much at all. After I left (brain fog!) I thought I should have asked if it could have been central apnea instead of obstructive. Does anyone know if they can tell from a sleep study if the apnea is obstructive or caused by the brain.. I know dysautonomia can cause Central sleep apnea, from what I have read.

Thanks for any help from those with more knowledge then I have. Liz

I am looking into this as a possible issue with regard to my one son's fatigue and sleep issues. This may be helpful:

"A thorough sleep study with polysomnography will show whether the lapses in breathing result from airway blockage or irregular breathe signals from the brain."

http://www.sleepapnea.org/learn/sleep-apnea/central-sleep-apnea.html

Thank-you Jadecat for the link to the article. I think I will call the Sleep doctor and ask him about this issue and remind him that dysautonomia can cause CSA. DeGenesis, as far as the symptoms I observe, they mostly occur in the transition time from awake to sleep. Many times it takes so many episodes of gasping/awaking until I can stay asleep.. I'm hoping that once things get sorted out and treated that I can sleep better and help the debilitating fatigue I experience every day. liz