Back To Work. Advice?

jknh9

I'm getting ready to re-enter the workforce full-time at an office for the first time since 2010. I've been working at home since then, between 15-50 hours a week (ugh, freelance). I'm nervous but I feel like the job is right up my alley so I want to give it a shot. It also means relocating to a new city by myself as my marriage recently broke up. This will be my first time living as a single adult. With so many changes in my life, I'm nervous about attempting this, but I hope I can do it. I feel better now than I have in probably 6 years, although I don't know if that will change once I'm bound to the office schedule. My new office doesn't know I'm sick, of course, and I'm not sure how to explain things if I get a dizzy spell or feel very tired one day or something. I was thinking I could say that I have some circulation problems or a heart problem instead of launching into the whole I-have-a-rare-disease-and-here-are-the-symptoms explanation because I really don't want to ostracize myself that way. Anyone else been in this situation? How did you explain it? And any general tips for going back to full-time work?

I would become familiar with your rights, which will vary depending on where you live. I live in Ontario, and an employer can not fire you due to a disability as long as accomodations can be made such that you can perform your job adequately. Nor can you be discriminated against based on a disability.

It's my experience that people don't really care that you have some rare disease. They will generally zone out unless you say you have cancer or something like that.

The best way I've found to help people understand my POTS is that gravity causes blood to pool in my legs and that sometimes I need to sit or lay down for a short while. They go wide-eyed for a moment or two, but then they seem to accept that explanation and are sympathetic. I never mention POTS, or get very technical, although you may have to have a physician write a letter to your employer, but you seem more concerned with your perception among your co-workers.

I don't have any especially useful advice but just wanted to say congratulations on the new job and I really applaud you! I work from home and am impressed you have been managing up to 50 hours a week. Agree with DeGenesis on checking into disability regulations for your state or province and on not getting too technical in the explanation. One useful thing someone told me is that so many people are navigating one thing or another that you don't need to feel terribly self conscious about it. Good luck and good for you!

Thanks for the advice on checking about disability! Sounds like a very useful thing to know. I also know my new place of employment does short- and long-term disability as part of benefits, so I took that as a good sign.

DeGenesis, thanks so much for the advice. Yeah, I'm more concerned about the social aspect of it, since I appear normal at most times. I don't want to have a doctor explain it unless I have a huge fainting/seizing episode, which hasn't happened in three years since I started meds and an exercise program. So, hopefully I won't need one. Hopefully!

writerlymom, thanks! That's true, I'm sure many people don't even notice when POTS is making us feel weird. It's a desk job, and lots of natural light in the office, so hopefully the lighting won't be a trigger. And I'm glad it won't have me on my feet all day. It seems like a great opportunity, so I'm going to give it my best shot!