That Look...

Bigskyfam

Starting to get really frustrated with receiving that look. You know the look you get when you are talking and have a brain fog moment and the other person gives you a look and says "and... "

Usually followed by "oh,never mind". This look does not jog my memory. It actually frustrates me and makes me feel like I shouldn't invoke a conversation most days. Anyone else experience this?

I can relate, Bigsky! Some days are worse than others. My family and close friends are supportive and try to help me figure out what I was going to say or find the word that I want to use but can't get out of my mouth. I sometimes will actually give them the definition of the word and they will say it for me and then I repeat it. But it is difficult and embarrassing and frustrating when it happens with someone out of my inner circle. I make sure I write down anything I want to talk about with my docs so I don't miss something important. I also can't stand when someone interupts me mid-sentence because that's always a sure fire way to make me forget the rest of the thought....even the whole topic we were talking about. Before I was diagnosed with POTS, I was terrified I was developing some sort of early onset dementia.

I do find that playing any sort of brain games helps me minimize this symptom. I used to belong to Lumosity.com but now I just use free apps on my phone. Even games like CandyCrush help because you have to figure out the best way to maximize your moves to achieve the goal. Plus it is a matching game. I can tell when I don't play any brain games for several days because my cognition suffers.

I also find it helps to do word search games, word scrambles, and crosswords. I also try to read scientific papers, news and political mags, management books, etc.....anything that has high cognition requirements and advanced vocabulary to try to keep words in my consciousness and to keep my reasoning processes working at a decent level. I mix it up so I don't get bored and also so I am keeping different skills active. When my cognitive skills are low, it takes some work to stick to it and not become frustrated. Sometimes I read the same sentence several times before it makes sense at these times but as long as I stay focused on getting through it, it eventually sticks. I don't allow myself to move on to the next sentence if I know I'm not truly comprehending the one I'm on. Often once I've comprehended the one I'm stuck on, I'll stop for the time being as it's usually a sign I'm too tired.

My poor wife has to deal with this. She will ask me something and it takes forever for me to get it out.

You guys should see me writing a post. Especially when I am not doing well. I struggle sometimes.

I always enjoyed reading, but I am having trouble being able to focus. What I have always enjoyed reading was not what you would call easy reading. I struggle now.

Gjensen,

In my opinion, I think it's really important for you to keep trying to read those difficult things you enjoy reading, even if all you can read is a paragraph at a time. It took me some time to rebuild my cognitive skills. I wish someone had told me at the beginning to do the brain exercises that I do now so it wouldn't have been such a long road back. It can be frustrating but set little goals and keep working at it. I figure I used to work 60 or more hours a week at my job. Now my job is working that hard at whatever I need to to keep myself as well as possible with all these weird things that pots, eds, and mcas bring.