Diy Cooling Vest?

Cooling Vests  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Does anyone have experience with a DIY cooling vest? Has anyone on here made a cooling vest? I am thinking it might be a good idea for me this summer, since I ma very sensitive to the heat. However, looking on Amazon and various places, they can run kind of expensive. My mom and I are handy with a sewing machine, so I'm thinking that we could probably make one fairly easily. Has anyone else made one or know someone who did? I found some replacement icepack inserts on Amazon for just under $20, so I'm thinking that it might be good to just sew the vest base, and purchase the inserts. I dunno. If you own a cooling vest, what is used as the icepack? Is it gel beads, pockets of ice...? Any suggestions for putting together a cooling vest or features you think are absolutely necessary to make it worthwhile are much appreciated! Just comment below.

It's blooming brilliant. I roasted every summer and then I found a lady with MS selling them on eBay UK. It has been great and I have it primed and ready for this summer. It really cooled down my core temperature and made the heat more bearable. The lady who sold it to me is now a very good Facebook and e-mail buddy.

The vest I have is made of heavy-duty fabric like the sort they make airbeds from. Flimsy or thin fabric would make the ice packs freeze your skin. It has to be really like like a canvas. The inserts are basically thick plastic filled with water. I think my vest was around £40+ and well worth it as I should have it for years. There are pockets front and back.

• 1 month later...

Yes! That is a great idea. I have one and it really really helps me. I got mine from Amazon and I believe it was about 40 bucks and came with removable ice packs. After about 3-4 hours, the material does get wet on the interior which can make my shirt wet but that is the only disappointment. And, it isn't dripping wet or anything like that. You can get cool patterns if you make one yourself! Good luck!