Sleep Transition

gjensen

I have had issues with the transition to sleep. As if I would not pick up the automatic breathing. Now it includes sudden heart pain that startles me back awake.

I had a break from this, but it is back. An ideas what this is about?

Thank you Corina.

As you know, half the battle is just understanding what it is.

There is a lot going on, and nothing is ever the same. I am having a hard time managing it, because I present so differently from day to day, week to week, month to month. I wish that I could be just a bit more consistent. LOL.

Katy, I am going to ask about one tomorrow. I did have one before, but ironically I had no issues that night. This symptom is a bit elusive. It comes in spells, then leaves me alone for a while.

I did tell my GP when I started having trouble again that I was going to request one. Unfortunately, I will be requesting it on a Friday.

I have the same exact problem and comes in spells like yours as well and will include the sensation/pain in my chest as well. I have never been tested for sleep apnea, I will get tested one day but I feel it is either just part of the autonomic dysfunction or some sort of weird adrenaline rushes that are happening inappropriately at the wrong time. O have also had theories that it is some type of anaphylactic thing from possible mast cell issues. Mine can go weeks without happening and when it does happen or can last only a few min or hpirs that night and then be that way for the next few nights. Next time try taking a benedryl and see of it helps. It has helped me before.

GJensen, I have had times also where I awaken from sleep and sit right up gasping for air. It looks exactly like sleep apnea to me but I had a sleep study done and, of course, it did not occur. I was given an Ativan to help me go to sleep for the study. I wish now that I had not taken it as I think it skewed the test. I, like you, seem to have things happen in phases and I wonder if it has to be a right time, right place test to get positive results on certain tests. Frustrating. They do measure breathing during the sleep study so they may be able to pick up a problem like what you are describing I believe. Good luck and let us know!

Rosey, I think it is part of my "dysautonomia". It has seamed to me to be some disconnect in the transition. When I have been "half asleep" I have been able to pick up that my automatic breathing did not seam to kick in after I finished the last exhale on my own. This can repeat itself over and again. Keep in mind, that I would be half asleep so it is not like I had a good grip on what was going on.

I do know that I come back to, gasping for air. My breathing seams depressed and it can take some time for me to normalize. Then I try again. And again. And again.

Raisin, I have woke up later into my sleep like that to. They are especially troubling, and difficult to get breathing normal again. It comes with this crazy feeling of needing to swallow, but be unable to go through with the swallowing motion. I have not had that in some time, nock on wood.

I would like to try the sleep study again, and hope they catch it this time. Seams that it would be hard for them to catch when most of my issues are in the transition. What could they see?

gjensen, I have this symptom since 7-8 months! Always thought it was "just dysautonomia".

However, when I was in hospital last week for some tests, they checked my blood oxygen while I was sleeping, and it always feel below 90% right after I started to fall asleep. So they already caught it right on the "transition". I am now referred to a sleep lab next week, the doc strongly believes I have sleep apnea. Let's see.

Thank you Goschi. Maybe they can catch something in the transition for me. Your post makes me more certain about giving it another try.

I was going to ask for that referral today, but remembered that they are not open on Fridays. Guess I will try Monday. I have lived with it this long.

Goschi, or anyone, do you get any reflux in spells to? I ask because I have leaned towards some dysfunction involving the vagus nerve. I have reflux spells during this period of time. I have had two reflux tests that were high normal, but like the sleep thing, I was not having any noticeable problems at the time.

It is hard to get these things figured out when they come and go.

Apparently sleep apnea can be a symptom of dysautonomia. I know it is a rather troublesome symptom for me.

Boy, this got bad over the weekend. Never got any sleep last night. Every time I would drift off I would quit breathing, and get chest pains. After waking, my breathing felt suppressed and it would be difficult to normalize.

A point I forgot to mention is often (last night included) I would start chattering as I would drift off. As if I was cold, but was not.

I am going to try again this morning. No sleep is not good for me. It really messes with me. Makes me feel very odd.

Gjensen, that really sounds bad! I hope you can get relief very soon!!

I also had "reflux spells" while sleeping (they always woke me up of course) from time to time. I am not sure whether they are connected with a possible sleep apnea or not. Maybe I was just eating to much for dinner sometimes.

I think it is really worth you let your doc check these symptoms once more. Wish you to get a good night sleep again very soon!!