How To Prepare For Endoscopy With Anesthesia -- With Short Acting Beta Blockers

lynnie22

I'm having an endoscopy tomorrow. I take shorting acting inderol twice a day -- usually half hour after I awaken with tons of water over the course and 6 hours later. Because you can't drink water for four hours before the procedure, I am confused on how to handle this since not drinking will lower my bp very low and not taking the beta blocker, my HR will be 150 and higher.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I work in Endoscopy, so I might have a few suggestions for you. You could always go a little early because we need to start an IV on you, that will help with the BP. As far as the heart rate, the 2 medications mostly given are Versed and Fentanyl. The Versed is a muscle relaxer and brings down most patients heart rates. You could always bring your BB with you and take it in recovery. We have other medications that will help bring the heart rate down if we need to....like Atropine. Just inform your Nurse of your condition, and they should be helpful :)

Thank you so much, badhbt. It is lucky to have someone working in endoscopy here. Dr. suggested I take BB an hour before the procedure with a bit of water, but he doesn't understand POTS. I didn't know the drugs they give you. I remember last time they gave me one drug, what is used alot as the anesthesia too well known because of famous overdose.

Anyway, it sounds like they will have it covered.

Post endoscopy.....They gave me four drugs, although they only told me about two beforehand. Fentanyl, Lidocaine, Propofol and Versed. I have been very drugged out and dizzy, at first just high, now really dizzy and nauseous. Not sure what to do but drink water. Not sure which of the drugs in this cocktail is affecting me. You would think IV drugs would leave your system.

Didn't get my report get about the test, but feeling pretty lousy from mainly the drugs. They sure don't know about POTS. Never heard of it.

Any one have an idea which drug of this mix is the culprit and when will it leave??

Thanks alot for your support.