Beta Blockers Brain Fog And Blood Pressure

1kate1

I was on Atenolol but having serious brain fog problems. I went back to my cardiologist today and he put me on Metapropolol (so I can take it twice a day and still get Allergy Shots) He said the brain fog is caused by a drop in blood pressure. Does anyone know more about this????

That seams to be associated with a lot of people's brain fog.

I get high blood pressure, but with my terrible brain symptoms, I have convinced myself that there is not enough blood getting to my brain. I have started to think that my orthostatic high blood pressure is from my body's effort to get the blood up there.

If I spend any length of time standing my "head" symptoms get bad and can last for a day or more.

One of my first clues that something was wrong was brain fog or what I call brain stutters. Where I would suddenly not be able to think. Then, I was always upright.

Low blood pressure can certainly cause brain fog.

There have been some studies that have shown a paradoxical reaction in some POTS patients where they have vasoconstriction in the cerebral vasculature even when their BP is low. Typically in a "normal" person the body does everything it can to make sure it keeps blood in the brain, but for some reason, some POTS patients have an abnormal pattern of cerebral vasoconstriction in situations where normally people wouldn't.

Some people find that their brain fog is less when lying down in these situations.