At Home Iv Saline Denied. Again.

SarahA33

Hi everyone,

Anyone have any tips as to how they got their insurance company to cover at home IV Saline infusions? My doctors have been trying for over a year to get it approved for me. It was denied again. At first they wanted to do a liter weekly then resubmitted 2 liters bi-weekly.

I don't get it.. Its more expensive for me to go to the ER to get loaded up on fluids. This would completely change my life if I can get it approved.

I tried going to an immediate care/urgent care and they refused to me because of my blood pressure. I'm forced to go to the hospital where my doctor's are and it's a nightmare every time.

any ideas?

Happy Holidays :rolleyes:

Have you tried protesting their decision? Insurance companies drive me crazy. They will spend more money trying to spend less.

Also, just how the order is written can mess us up.

I would contact the insurance company and ask them why it is being refused. Not that it would make a difference, but it would be worth a shot.

I had an experience once where I did that. They told me how the doctor needed to write it up for it to be approved.

Do you have an out-patient infusion center nearby that might be able to do it? In order to qualify for homecare services you usually have to be "homebound" which means you aren't leaving the house for any reason other than an occasional doctor's appt. That might be one reason they are denying it. Just a thought.

If you were admitted to the hospital (not just the ER) and then they wrote for the homecare after you got out, it might be approved, but not sure for how long. And, it is all dependent on each insurance co.

I have to go to an infusion center to get my IV saline on a regular basis.

I think the problem might be you're asking for them at home rather than asking for them to cover an order you go to the hospital or doctor to receive. I've lived in 3 different towns, and in each town, the hospital had the ability to give me IV fluids in outpatient/ambulatory care. My insurance (3 diff providers over years) has always covered it with the reasons for the orders being labeled as either severe dehydration or POTS attacks. I just have a standing order so if I go twice in a week or twice in a month or twice in a year -- it's up to me. I hope you can get something figured out. It shouldn't be so hard to get IV fluids!!! I'd go crazy.