Help...how Do You Handle The Escalated Hr Of A Fever With Pots?

lynnie22

I just got the second half (strange of my doctor) of my flu shot on Tuesday and within a few hours developed a cough. Today I woke up feeling like I have the flu and my fever has been escalating, and with it, my heart rate. It is now almost impossible to stand -- HR is climbing to 150, sitting is 110. I was told not to take a betablocker in evening because my bp goes down too much. I feel horrible in all senses. I don't know what to do -- bottom out my bp or go to an ER (not a great choice) where little is known about POTS or simply endure the fast HR.

Any ideas? Please?

Paracetamol is a much used otc pain killer in Europe. I thought it would be in the US as well. It's given (also prescribed) to lessen a fever and help with all sorts of pains. It's safe to use (though if different dosages) for both children and adults and comes in tablets and suppositories (hope I used the correct word, I had to google translate it :) ) paracetamol can be compared to Ibuprofen but for me the last one is harder on the stomach.

Hope this helps, sorry you are struggling Lynnie

I hope this has passed by now. I get fevers a few times a week, so I definitely know how cruddy you are feeling. I sleep under a soft blanket in just my undies since my skin gets super sensitive during fevers. I take Tylenol. If its bad enough, I set an alarm so I don't miss a dose. Also, do what you would do to help yourself cope with the flu since that's what is causing this fever!

Corina, I don't think paracetamol is available here, at least over the counter. You have so many more drugs that are available ove the counter there! Kisekis I relate! Jackie, it must be so hard getting fevers so often! You obviously are on tylenol regularly. I am not sure if this was the flu or something that happened after the flu shot with a high fever and sinus/cough/throat problems. Anyway, today I'm more congested but doing alittle better, thanks Jackie. The advil (not great for stomach) has helped the fever and I have been drinking alot of tea with honey, the honey is simple but great for the throat and LOTS of fluid, as always.

I'm happy you're doing a little better! I wonder if you had a cold coming on, so your immune system was less able to handle the flu shot and what you're experiencing is a cold/flu shot combo. Lucky you! I try and avoid taking anything for my fevers if I can, but at a certain point, I figure there is no point be uncomfortable if I don't have to be and take it.

Jackie, thanks! That's a good possibility. I've actually had this sinus/larynx problem since September. Doctor never sure if it was bacterial or not, but I'm allergic to most antibiotics so they loathe to try them. It came and went and came and went. With the flu shot, it came big time, really infected, high fever, but that is better today, still not great. My internist told me to go to ER over weekend, went and they did NOTHING. Serious nothing. No blood tests, no nothing, just a physical exam, ER doctor felt it was a virus, nothing to do. Quickest ER visit ever.

Why do you get fevers so often?

I basicslly run fevers when I overdo it. Nobody knows why, other than its pretty clear to the various docs I have seen, something is living in my lymph system. My lymph nodes swell up in the throat, armpits, and abdomen, I get very fatigued, and I also run fevers. Sometimes my spleen is enlarged as well. I had these issues, which seem to have been triggered by mono, awhile before the autonomic dysfunction came on. My theory is when I do too much, my ANS which controls the immune system, is overwhelmed. This maybe leads to the immune system being unable to suppress whatever is in my lymph nodes the way it normally does. I think my fatigue is largely from constantly fighting a virus.

POTS runs in my family, but was triggered by mono in my case. I've had mono symptoms ever since I first got it back in 2008. My DNA blood levels of EBV are fine. My antibidy blood tests for mono were never positive, but I guess 20% of people don't test positive for active mono virus even though they have it. This makes me wonder if there's a disease that closely mimics mono but isn't mono. Maybe I should do a poll of how many of us with immune issues who had mono tested positive for an active virus!