Fallen Ill With Pots Because Of Excess Adrenalin?

galatea

Not sure if you’ll all be convinced of this but I’d be interested to hear if anything similar applies to any of you.

I think I’ve had POTS to some degree since early adolescence, but stopped being functional in my first year of university. I think what might have triggered the sudden drastic decline is an excess of adrenalin because of essay crises and being up all night once a week for a period of time. So because I already had ‘low-level’ POTS my body couldn’t cope.

If I’d been diagnosed earlier I would have been more careful and maybe it would never have got to this!

Anyone else have something similar or feel that adrenalin affects you a lot?

Stress and lack of rest can certainly be a trigger for POTS symptom flare up. I can have a flare up after a week or more of poor sleep and stress. I agree, that it might be possible that if you had not had this trigger, you might not have experienced severe symptoms, but I think the triggers of POTS, which can also include illness, pregnancy, etc, can be quite difficult to entirely avoid over one's lifetime. Fortunately there are medications and other treatments that can help alleviate symptoms.

We have talked on a few threads over the years about the 'type' of people we are and the majority of replies always seem to be type A, super active, work hard, play hard personalities that are always on the go. Basically adrenaline junkies...not daredevils, just go, go, go. Here's the rub for me though....is it the chicken or the egg? Were we able to run on that much adrenaline because we had low level dysautonomia or did running on the adrenaline trigger the dysautonomia? We know that once we have dysautonomia, there's a good chance we will have adrenaline dysregulation.