Calcium Channel Blockers?

kayjay

K,

The two main one's i'm familiar w/ are Verapamil and Amlodipine. Verapamil has actually less side effects of the two. Amlodipine is more commonly prescribed but imo it's important to watch out for edema, which seems rare. Another side effect that I've heard of is rapid and pounding heart rate's. However, your doctor clearly knows the risks and thinks it could benefit you. I know you've been getting some bp spikes recently so it may be something to consider.

Pros: :rolleyes:

"Verapamil exerts antihypertensive effects by decreasing systemic vascular resistance, usually without orthostatic decreases in blood pressure or reflex tachycardia; bradycardia (rate less than 50 beats/min) is uncommon (1.4%). During isometric or dynamic exercise, Verapamil does not alter systolic cardiac function in patients with normal ventricular function. " - drugs.com

"Amlodipine besylate tablets USP may be used alone or in combination with other antihypertensive agents. Amlodipine is a prescription drug and it acts as like a calcium channel blocker. This particular drug dilates the blood vessels, thereby enhancing blood circulation" - Benefitsof.net

Also, at one point I was on a beta blocker, alphabeta, calcium channel and hctz. Im guessing your still on a low dosage now of the beta blocker so taking the additional bp med shouldn't cause you to bottom out.

Always here for you,

Sarah

I take Verapamil and it has completely changed my life. The first night I took it, I woke up the next morning and could inhale all of the way without feeling so much resisitance from my heart. It also helped some of my GI issues. I can't imagine ever getting off of it now and it has helped so much. I hope that it works for you!!