Mayo And The 50 Age Cut Off

lynnie22

I am planning on going to Mayo in a few days. It will be done through the cardiologist I saw there three years ago. (I have written too many posts about this visit to be.) What I wanted to know, if any of you have the answer, is since I am over 50, I will be denied the usual POTS clinic access, but am set up to meet with a neurologist in mid stay. Will he be offering the full testing? Does anyone know why they will not see anyone over 50 in their clinic? It's disturbing to us older folk.

I do not know why us older persons with dysautonomia cannot be seen in clinic at Mayo. I would think the researchers and doctors could learn much from our symptomology, progression and what our quality of life has been like and what been helpful and not helpful. I started with symptoms around age 10. I would like to do clinical trials and many of them will not do trials on people our age.

I do hope you get some answers at Mayo and some helpful treatments.

Are you sure? I'm not questioning you- but wondering if you may have misunderstood? I recently spoke with someone over 50 that is going this winter. The " clinic" I went though did all of the testing. The have some sort of pots rehab for young people- parents and children have posted about it here.

lynnie,

I can't imagine that you would not have access to full testing through the neurologist to which you have been referred. If it is not showing up on your

itinerary it may be that the neurologist wants to evaluate you first to decide what all to order. I went to Mayo,AZ two years ago at age 52 and went through autonomic reflex testing, supine and standing cat levels etc.etc.and saw Dr. Goodman (neurologist) as well as many other docs. I will be returning to Mayo next year for reevaluation at age 54. I can't imagine that Mayo,MN would be different then Mayo,AZ in regards to age restrictions for testing. I do not remember the term POTS clinic used at Mayo,AZ though so maybe that is something unique to Mayo,MN although that still should not make a difference if the neurologist you see recommends all of the pertinent tests.

Best wishes to you on your quest for answers and help. I hope your trip to Mayo proves fruitful. For me going to Mayo was extremely helpful.

Janet