Mestinon Question

1tiredmama

At his last appt, my son was prescribed several new meds, one being Mestinon. He experienced slurred speech so I discontinued the Mestinon immediately. That was more than a week ago. I put a call in to his doctor, but I got no response. Now, my son has dropped a few pounds and he is nauseated upon waking. This is after months of wellness. So, my question is: What does Mestinon do for POTS? I'm wondering if removing it has caused the backslide. Thank you.

1tiredmama,

Here is an article that explains how mestinon works for POTS.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/111/21/2734.long

My understanding of how this drug works: it inhibits the production of acetylcholinesterase (an enzyme involved in the breaking down of acetylcholine) thus increasing the availability of acetylcholine- a neurotransmitter used by the autonomic ganglia (a cluster of cells transmitting signals from the CNS to the peripheral nervous system). These signals are minimal when lying down, but increase drastically upon standing. It's believed that mestinon works to lower the HR and increase the BP on an "as needed basis" which for a POTS person would be when standing, or performing different types of physical activities. At the same time acetylcholine is supposed to keep the parasympathetic nervous system from going into withdrawal and from allowing the sympathetic nervous system to take over during orthostatic stress.

I hope this helps.

Alex

I noticed slurred speech when I started the med. I can't remember exactly but think it took about a week for it to get better. I hoped this to be my magical pill at the time which it unfortunately wasn't. It did help me a LOT with keeping my temps up though so all in all to me it worked out well.
Sorry your doctor doesn't call you back, you might want to call in again to ask for his/he advice. Best to your son.