Calf Pain, Pulled Muscle And Blood Clots...

kitt

Recently I was suffering from severe pain in my calf. It lasted for days and I was unable to walk without a limp. On the third day of this I happened to read an article in a magazine published by a chain of hospitals in the state I live in.

Under an extensive article called 'Ladies First' it says 'What are the 4 warning signs women shouldn't ignore?

Am now copying verbatim:

Number One: Pain and swelling in Calf

LIkely cause: pulled muscle

Worst-case scenario: Blood clot in the leg

(Copying the article below:)

When you sit for long periods -whether it's on your way to a dream vacation or glued to your desk- blood pools in your lower legs and can form a clot. When it's large enough, it can block a vein in your leg, producing pain and swelling.

"Unfortunately the first thing you'll probably want to do- rub your leg- is the worst thing,' says Dr. X a vascular surgeon with Y Hospital Cardiovascular Institute. "It can send a big clot running up to your lung, where it can be very harmful."

When to Act: If symptoms happen suddenly, immediately call your doctor or go to the emergency department. You'll have a sonogram on your legs to find the presence of blood clots and a CT scan of your chest to make sure it hasn't moved to your lungs. If you have a clot, you'll need to take blood thinners-sometimes for up to a year-to dissolve it.

This article was alarming to me. I'd had serious calf pain for days, but I decided to wait one more day. I'd upped my Magnesium the last few days, and that day I added more. I also ate several bananas for the potassium, and drank even more Smart Water.

The next day the pain started to subside, and now it's gone. But this article was of great interest to me and I hope it helps other pots patients to be aware of this kind of pain. Don't rub it, and be very concerned if there's swelling accompanying the pain.

Best,
K