Blood Vessel Non-Constriction: Explains Stair Climbing Problems?

spinner

I havnt done enough studying on circulatory constriction and DA. Ive heard the theories but I dont understand the

science. Im hoping somebody can explain it.

THIS MORNING: I foolishly carried an air conditioner up TWO flights of stairs. Major no-no. Knew I triggered something nasty. Breathing problems all day. Exhausted dizzy weak. Some palpitations at the left side of my heart. A few angina

pangs that i get occasionally.

Can anyone explain specifically whats going on with out circulation, blood vessels, and why it wipes us off the map

when we go "Under a Load" so to speak?

I have no trouble riding a bike or swimming incidentally on horizontal surfaces or even some inclines. But when i put a severe load on my body combined with carrying something heavy im toast. It will be a couple years before i do

something that stupid again.

Please post any previous links to articles here if you know them. Blessings.

Wish I had the answers you are seeking. Lifting is a huge problem for me as well. Is it because of lack of constriction, my blood vessels bulge. MCAD, I have been diagnosed with that but the antihistimines do not help me. Do you ever have times where it is not as bothersome?? Arms above my head house cleaning can have the same effect. I go to the Mayo in October, armed with a million questions. I will bring this up as well as many other issues. First and formost for me is constant severe head pain, migraines and skullpain and pressure really ruins my quality of life! Sorry for whining and getting off topic!

Hi Spinner,

All I know is what you are describing does have something to do with circulation. My son also had trouble climbing stairs when he could walk. He has trouble raising his hands above his head. He says it reminds him of the way he feels when climbing stairs.

Rachel

The best way I can explain it is that when we are upright, the heart has to work a little harder and pump a little more effectively to maintain blood pressure. Our peripheral blood vessels usually constrict down some to accommodate for the upright position and maintenance of a decent blood pressure. The autonomic nervous system controls blood vessel constriction and heart contractions. Since our ANS is not functioning properly, the nerve signals from the brain and spinal cord don't reach the heart and blood vessels correctly. This malfunction of the nervous system communication between heart and blood vessels results in lack of constriction and effective heart contractions. Our vessels are "floppy" and our heart loses the ability to adequately compensate for postural changes. When we challenge our system even further by adding extra demands upon our heart and blood vessels, some type of physiological decompensation is inevitable. Walking up stairs is a physical challenge in and of itself requiring more work by the heart and blood vessels that they may not be able to give. Adding a heavy load to carry and walking up stairs may completely overwhelm any compensatory efforts by the heart and blood vessels causing the symptoms we all experience: drop in BP, fatigue, shortness of breath, etc...

I think we all have to learn our limits and recognize that there are some things we will not be able to do - there may even be less we can do while we are experiencing a flare-up of our disease. I personally don't like limitations and get quite annoyed when I can't do what I want to do. It really doesn't matter how annoyed I get because I still have limitations and have to live with them like it or not.

Dr has me on a Holter monitor currently. I was carrying things for a friend across a parking lot (maybe 10 pounds) and I set that thing off like a Walmart security alarm. My heart went crazy.

I wasn't paying attention to it until the monitor went off (obviously) because it's something normal for me. But afterwards I felt that all too familiar weakness, lightheaded limp... took me 30 minutes of sitting on the truck running board to get back up again. I thought my friend was going to have a heart attack because he thought I was having one LOL

I called it in but the people at cardionet were about as honest as a toddler in a cookie jar can be LOL but I'm going in next week to get this thing off so maybe I'll have some answers as to what is going on in there when that happens?

Picking up things does it, heavy things are the worst. Happens when my hands are over my head too, cleaning, washing hair in shower etc, steps..oh forget steps... I have 3 steps on my front door and sometimes I have to sit down to navigate them even when I feel fine.

It drives me crazy!!

I seem to be the exception to a lot of things in DA. I dont have POTS per se, i have sinus bradycardia, slow heartbeat. I tend toward dehydration. So i describe my condition as disregulation of autonomic/sympathetic neurology.

I can raise my hands over my head but I cant sing or climb stairs. I cant suddenly bump my BP. That triggers me instantly.

I take klonopin for a sudden trigger---its an amazing med for me.

Im certain that these triggers are related to our circulation system and this constriction aspect. Perhaps it also

triggers palpitations or a release of adrenaline.

Im very curious if anyone has improved this circulation constriction problem somehow. Maybe salt and water play a big part. Or beta blockers although i cant do that, already have a slow heartbeat.