Has Anyone Used Astragalus?

looneymom

My son has a low IGA but all subclasses are in range. His immune system is functioning to the best of it's ability. He made antibodies with the vaccine challenge test. YEAH! However, he has a low T/Helper /T Cytoxic Ratio. The immunologist said that when he gets sick, his body may not be sending out enough T helpers or his body is not keeping up with the demand. It takes his body longer to recover from illnesses. His system is not deficient to the point that he would qualify for other ugly drugs that cause some really awful side effects. She has suggested using Astragalus along with coconut oil, berries, dark chocolate, avocado, garlic, and a probiotic. My son is happy about the dark chocolate. I have called his cardiologist about the Astraglus to see if this is safe to use with his other medications. I'm just wondering if anyone has used this to help build up their immune system. How did it effect you and did it help you? If you have seen studies, please send them my way.

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

I hope your son is doing well. I take a few immunomodulators such as Astragalus to improve my immune system due to HIV. I don't know where you live, but you may want to look to see if you have a Naturopathic Physician in your area. They are doctors who specialize in the more herbal and holistic approach to medicine as we commonly encounter. Naturopathic doctors are licensed to practice in about 15 states in the U.S. and all over Canada and Europe. In the U.S. if the state does not have a means for licensure, they commonly will work under an M.D., O.D. or a D.C. He or she will be able to discuss your son's immunological profile with you and make suggestions as to what supplements, herbs and nutritional recommendations would work best. Naturopathic doctors are really the only professionals who study common pharmacology, herbology and homeopathy and would know the interactions with the medications your son is currently taking.

Foods that is rich in plant sterols and bioflavonoids are what your doctor is suggesting. It is pretty easy to do a google search and get a list of things you know your son will eat. I am a vegitarian and can give you some ideas of what I eat.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want more specific information, especially on Naturopaths.

Angelina