Florineff/salt Low Pulse High, High Blood Pressure.???

kim5204

Well cant figure out what is causing weird symptoms i am on florinef and high salt for low blood pressure and have increased salt now have breathing problems like pressure and heaviness, with high blood pressure and low pulse.

Wondering how much salt you guys use.? I have been using probably around 3 tsp or more havent really measured but a lot of salt.

I thought breathing was realated to low potassium and added 5mg today and extra magnesium to my bag for my j tube. Still having same weired breathing issue took my blood pressure and its 137/95, 59 Pulse complete oppsite than everything I am used to.

Could I have overdone it with the salt and caused hypertension, low pulse, breathing suffocating feeling I need help figuring it out my doctor I am not due to see few weeks.

can it effect my lungs salt leaching out more fluid in the lungs? I had a echo heart done a while ago.

any ideas makes me feel like I am dying difficulty breathing but cant put all peices together. now pulse 55. weird????

Hi kim

The breathing problem may be related to the vagus nerve. I have read this somewhere on an old post. Before my son was diagnosed with POTS, he was having some problems. It looked like he was grasping for breath because his neck muscles would really quiver. After we got him started on midodrine and florinif these problems did subside. With the salt, 1/4 of a teaspoon has 590 mg of sodium. You might have over did it with the salt. My son takes his salt only after meals and snacks. He has low blood pressure. He takes 10 grams a day. He takes it after meals and snacks so his body absorbs it more slowly and his body gets a steady amount of salt throughout the day. He takes salt tablets that are equal to 1 gram of salt. The first week you might start with a gram after each meal and monitor your blood pressure every couple of hours to see what is happening. If it is too low still, then increase slowly. If you eat a snack mid morning and mid afternoon than you could try adding salt after the snack. POTS patients can need anywhere from 3 -20 grams of salt a day.

Rachel

Kim- I just had high Bp and low pulse. Mine was about 178/118 with a pulse in the 40's.

I went into the er and found out my sodium was low. This info may not be helpful to you. I am also not on florinef. I saw my doctor today and he urged me to drink less plain water.

Is it possible to get your electrolytes checked? I'm sorry that you are feeling so poorly. It's very scary.

Kim

Try to get the test to check for the electrolytes. If you want to increase potassium, try eating more foods with potassium to see if you can tell a difference. The pills are really not safe without doctor's supervision. Florinif will help retain sodium but will push potassium levels down. Get with your doctor to help you get the right amounts for your body. This can be a tricky situation.

Rachel

I supplement with hydraltye which has potassium in it.I hate going to the hospital my doctor is away spent 3 months in the hospital in the last 2 years.

But I figured out I was taking in about 3 tablespoons of salt which is apparently alotmof sodium, hopefully I didnt do to much damagr and can balance off the sodium I am now measuring exactly so I can see exactly what is causing it.

I hope its not a progressing jn my disease I need a break from this for a bit.

thanks. hope tomrow I can figure this out and hope breathing gets better if not I will have tomake a trip to the hospital.