What Tests Should My Docs Run?

Hoosierfan

All,

Haven't posted here in awhile; hope everyone is doing well and healing. I am still in the throes of the nasty ativan w/d....realize I am probably in for a 2-3 year recovery time. Ugh.

BUT, I am seeing a new functional medicine doc here at the U of Wisconsin (we just moved) and I have thoroughly stumped her on what is going on with me (whether my hypotension is really and underlying condition or just a symptom of ssri / benzo w/d that will resolve itself in time).

So, I need your thoughts on what tests I should ask her to run, in order to get to the bottom of exactly what is causing the dizziness / jitters / low bp / headaches / etc and if there is anything we can do for it (or what treatments will be effective).

I have had: thyroid, CBC, genetic detoxification profile (showing I do have a COMT and GSTM defect), cortisol tests, full hormone panels.

I am going to ask her to run: full nutrient panel, urine and blood tests to show kidney and liver function.

Anything else I can ask her to run....for instance, is there a way to test my blood volume, or my renin activity, or anything else that might clue her in to the sources of the hypotension?

I am still on florinef and effexor, which I am sure is slowing the healing from the benzo w/d; but I can't seem to kick either at this point. My bp is running in the low 90s / mid 50s even w/ the florinef, water, compression stockings so I don't know if I should ask her to up my dose of that or do further testing to find the source of the whole thing.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

xoxox, HF

All,

Haven't posted here in awhile; hope everyone is doing well and healing. I am still in the throes of the nasty ativan w/d....realize I am probably in for a 2-3 year recovery time. Ugh.

BUT, I am seeing a new functional medicine doc here at the U of Wisconsin (we just moved) and I have thoroughly stumped her on what is going on with me (whether my hypotension is really and underlying condition or just a symptom of ssri / benzo w/d that will resolve itself in time).

So, I need your thoughts on what tests I should ask her to run, in order to get to the bottom of exactly what is causing the dizziness / jitters / low bp / headaches / etc and if there is anything we can do for it (or what treatments will be effective).

I have had: thyroid, CBC, genetic detoxification profile (showing I do have a COMT and GSTM defect), cortisol tests, full hormone panels.

I am going to ask her to run: full nutrient panel, urine and blood tests to show kidney and liver function.

Anything else I can ask her to run....for instance, is there a way to test my blood volume, or my renin activity, or anything else that might clue her in to the sources of the hypotension?

I am still on florinef and effexor, which I am sure is slowing the healing from the benzo w/d; but I can't seem to kick either at this point. My bp is running in the low 90s / mid 50s even w/ the florinef, water, compression stockings so I don't know if I should ask her to up my dose of that or do further testing to find the source of the whole thing.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

xoxox, HF

I might sound kinda obvious - but 3 simple tests that have been abnormal for me Vitamin D, Ferritin, and Sodium.

I think everything but the D is pretty standard. You mentioned nutrient panel so I bet you already thought of those three.

I also want to encourage you about the Ativan. I was on it and then switched to klonopin for a few years. I've been off of it for a long time now. When I feel super panicked I almost wish I hadn't tossed it in the trash- but it's a passing thought. I thought it really helped me initially but currently I'm better without it. My memory is also much better.

Good Luck!