Sleeping Through The Night At Last

looneymom

My son, Tyler, was able to fall asleep but would wake up several times in the night. About two weeks ago, he had an appointment with his neurologist. My son was taking the plain old Clonidine. However, if I forgot to give it to him at night, he would wake up in a sweaty mess the next morning. The neurologist questioned Tyler about why he thought he was waking up. All Tyler could tell her was that he was hurting. It was pain that he felt throughout his body. Tyler is now 13, so maybe his doctors are going to start taking him more seriously. The neurologist prescribed Extended Release Clonidine for him. This last week, he has finally started sleeping through the night. YEAH!!!! However, our neurologist has warned us that we may have a long journey ahead of us. She was shown a copy of Tyler's immune testing results. She has told us to keep Tyler out of the crowds. If you would like to read about Tyler's medical journey, I started a blog called survivingpots.com. I am hopeful that we have found a medication that will not cause problems for Tyler. Tyler has tried many supplements to help with this issue but none have seem to help with sleep. So hopefully, sharing our experience about Extended Release Clonidine will help someone else with their sleep issues.

Anything that is extended release to me just makes more sense. So glad you found a solution!! Has he been checked for sleep apnea? I would talk with your doctor about that, as well, if he continues to have problems sleeping. About 40% of us do have it. Just saying...hope it continues to work for him. I can't imagine having a child with this disorder. I will pray that his immune issues will just disappear!! That also is quite common with this...

That's interesting, loonymom. I always wake up as well, multiple times in the night. At first I didn't really know why I was waking up, but gradually began to realize it was because my back was sore from myofascial pain. I still wake up quite a bit, but as long as I get up for a minute and move around, I can usually go back to sleep. I'm so glad your son is getting some sleep relief. Insomnia at his age must be just miserable!

That's wonderful that Tyler is finally able to sleep. Good thing the Neurologist thought to prescribe the extended release clonidine. Thanks for updating us.