Propranolol And Shortness Of Breath

andreak

I have been diagnosed with the High BP type of POTS and put on Propranolol 10mg twice daily, morning and afternoon to cover waking hours as these are the times when my BP is really high

I have been taking the meds for a few days now and noticed that the tightening in my chest is becomming worse to the point at which I feel I am struggling for breath at times

My GP is clueless when it comes to POTS and the nurse looking after my care at hospital is currently on leave so I need a little advice

Should I persevere and see if the symptoms settle the longer I use the medication or should I reduce and stop taking it altogether and see if the symptoms settle ??

Has anyone else had similar problems

I have my first appointment with Professor Mathias's clinic in London on the 28th but was hoping to have a repeat 24hr BP trace before then to see if the medication is effective

Thanks in advance

Alison x

Hi Allison, we can't really give you advice on whether to stop or continue your meds. That def is something to discuss with your doctor. Would it be possible for you to use a bp/hr machine to see what's happening? It might give you answers on how high/low your bp and hr are and with the results you could talk to your gp. Having said that, the only advice I can give you is that whenever you feel uncomfortable or seriously worried your gp is there to help you out, wether he knows about POTS or not!

Also, in the pinned topic section you can find a topic on Doctors Education Project. We can send out a brochure and cover letter to help your doctor understand! Hope you'll feel better soon!