Bisoprolol And Resting Heart Rate

GN1978

I first saw my cardiologist 3 days ago. I'm awaiting a TTT but from previous tests he suspects POTS and inappropriate sinus tachycardia.

He has prescribed beta blockers - Bisoprolol (aka Zebeta, I'm in the UK). He's prescribed 7 days, then I am to get continued prescriptions from my GP.

Anyway, he initially started me off on 2.5mg. I was due to up my dose to 5mg today, but am unsure about this. I've attempted to contact my cardiologist today, but to no avail, so it will now be Monday, after the weekend, until I can contact him.

The 2.5mg have worked swimmingly. My standing HR is down from 125-130, to about 85 bpm. I unloaded some groceries from a home delivery and was standing/walking around for 10 mind and my HR reached a max of 94 bpm, less than it was on simply just standing up pre-medication.

My concern is my resting HR. Lying down watching TV, or in bed, by HR has dropped to anywhere between 48-55 bpm. This seems quite low. But, apart from an initial bit of drowsiness, I'm not having any real, noticeable side effects from the beta blockers or this drop in HR.

The concern I have is should I up to the 5mg, as advised, when the 2.5mg appear to be working, maybe even lowering my HR a bit too much?

Or, stay in the 2.5mg (cutting a 5mg tablet in half), until I am able to speak to my cardiologist?

Does it even look like 2.5mg may be too much, and 1.25mg may be a better starting point?

Just after some advice, as I'm new to all this and hindered by my inability to contact my cardiologist today.

Hi GN, welcome to the forum! As you might have read in our forum rules, members can't give you any medical advice. What I can tell you, is that when I told my cardio that my hr dropped into the 30's at night he wasn't worried about that. I found it quite strange at the time but since I'm still alive I guess he was right :) You have to keep in mind of course that what goes for one doesn't necessarily need to go for others as well. But for me, I'm not worried when I drop into 40's or lower at night.

Hi GN! I can only share my experiences. When I first started bisoprolol my resting HR was dipping down to the 40's and 50's. I also felt freezing, tired, and like there was an elephant sitting on my chest. After a few weeks, things seemed to level out and now my resting HR is anywhere from 60-80 (a huge improvement compared to before I was on the med). I hope you hear from your cardiologist soon for specific advice... I know how frustrating it can be to have to wait. Take care :)

Guest Hanice

If you don't have any other symptoms it sounds like your doctor prescribed you the greatest medicine for you! A lot of us naturally have a low resting heart rate. But compared to how it could be, 50's doesn't sound so bad. Welcome to Dinet!

GN your plan sounds pretty good.

Betas (I've tried 3 - metoprolol, bisoprolol and propranolol) have lowered my HR but never to bradycardia levels. Also, I had episodes where my HR would go into 50's even 40's (those were due to another med I'm currently taking) and my dr repeatedly reassured me that it's OK particularly if you are asymptomatic.

Enjoy your quiet weekend and stay safe.

Alex