Is It Possible To Raise The Head Of A Platform Bed?

Steve

From previous threads, I'm aware that quite a few of you elevate the head of your bed for GERD or POTS. Do any of you do this with a platform bed? I ask because from what I've seen, the typical platform bed looks like this:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/bed-and-bath/beds/isaac-charcoal-queen-bed/s598949

On that model, at least, it looks like the mattress simply sits on top of the platform and would slide off if you raised it at an angle. On a traditional bed, there are wood panels surrounding the mattress that would prevent it from sliding.

Do you mean the kind with wooden slats instead of box springs? If so, it depends on the bed. My mom has a platform bed and the wood panels come up an inch or two around the mattress. She has elevated the head of her bed and it doesn't slide. Are you asking because you're shopping for a platform bed?

Do you mean the kind with wooden slats instead of box springs? If so, it depends on the bed. My mom has a platform bed and the wood panels come up an inch or two around the mattress. She has elevated the head of her bed and it doesn't slide. Are you asking because you're shopping for a platform bed?

Yes! That's the type of bed I mean. I'm actually shopping for a platform bed because I broke the more traditional bed I'd been using after raising it with bed risers. It's possible that it was a coincidence, but raising the top of the bed seemed to shift most of the weight to the bottom half, putting added stress on the joints. I'd had the bed for years, and this happened a few weeks after I raised it.

When I started shopping for a replacement, I noticed that a majority of beds now sold are platform beds. I thought they might handle the stress of bed risers better due to their design (low center of gravity, reduced weight from having no box spring, all-metal construction in many cases). Only then did it occur to me that the ones I'd been looking at had no panels to keep the mattress from sliding. It's good to know that some of them do. Thanks!