I Think I Know Why I Got Pots.... Please Chime In (*tmi)

Guest Hanice

Guest Hanice

About one and a half months after having my baby son, my husband and I (prepare for tmi*) *had a little mistake one night and we got scared that I would pregnant yet again so I made an even bigger mistake and I took four contraceptives called Lo Loestrine Fe ( 1 mg norethindrone acetate and 10 mcg ethinyl estradiol ) and the following morning I took a Plan B ( The pill contains 1.5 milligrams of levonorgestrel ) ever since I started with my symptoms....

I just found this article on how contraceptives can affect the ans http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01590849h

What do you think?

Four contraceptives plus Plan B (which is also essentially a contraceptive) is a heck of a lot. I'm not a medical professional, but I would not be surprised if this was at least a contributing factor. It seems like there are many things that can "flip a switch" for the ANS, as my neuro says. I was recently taken off the regular pill and put on the mini-pill in light of my POTS & NCS and migraines with aura. Wish a doctor would have had the wherewithall to take me off it earlier, because I had no idea there was any connection until recently.

I have to be on DepoProvera shots or I'm just miserable. That's a progesterone based contraceptive and we have had many conversations on this forum about how the cycle of our sexual hormones and different contraceptives affect different people. I have also heard of so many different things triggering pots that I wouldn't count anything out at this point. But, I haven't heard of your particular predicament before so I would consult a GYN, an endocrinologist, and/or a pots neurologist about it.

It definitely sounds like that could have been what caused everything. Of course, like others say, maybe ask your gyn what they think, but that much seems like it could surely trigger something. If so, I hope it is something that can wear off and get better for you, that would be wonderful!! Hope you get to feeling better.

Another thing to consider....Mine started after the birth of my second son. I was nursing, not drinking enough, already predisposed to dehydration and gut painful slow mobility started first, then dizziness etc. Doctor said while you're preg...you have more blood volume then it dramatically decreases after birth. This did not happen after my first, I was unable to bf.

Realistically it would seem any PERSONALLY stressful event to your ANS/immune system or endocrine? could flip that switch.

I had "sudden onset" and yet i was an untreated sleep apnea for years. Used to wake up gasping many nights. They call that oximetry plunge. NO doubt that was a shock, and i remember feeling about 2 days a week drained and dizzy.

Yet later i developed leaky gut, could have been set off by overdoing a major batch of antibiotics following dental surgery. Which set off extreme food allergies, and then palpitations when i ate those foods.

But they pretty much know now that STRESS is the worst thing in the world for you---can cause MS, parkinsons, etc.

Just the stress of excitotoxicity (MSG, aspartame, ETC) can set off fibromyalgia. I personally believe any extreme stress can set this off, a death, divorce, failed romance, job, boss, kid, etc.