Heat Intolerance

bjbens

Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum, but am so thrilled to have found it! I'm really curious how other people deal with their heat intolerance. For instance, this morning I took the dogs out for a short walk and it was hot and muggy. By the time I got home I just needed to lie down due to the dizziness, nausea, etc... I wasn't feeling that great to begin with, but now I feel like I've really screwed up my Saturday and am kicking myself! Are there things you do when you have a "flare up" that helps to shorten the duration of it?

Hi! Sorry you're stuck dealing with this stuff too but glad you found us! Heat intolerance is one of my most frustrating symptoms. It doesn't always make my day better, but sometimes if I get in a cool place and lay down with my feet up and rest for awhile and drink a bunch of cold water or gatorade it helps me recover a little. Other times I am just stuck feeling awful no matter what I do. Are you currently taking any medications?

Cold beverages, lots of ice packs particularly on the back of my neck to cool the blood going to my brain, I have an ice pack that I can strap around my waste with Velcro, there are ice packs that you can slip inside neoprene sleeves and tie around your neck., A/C set where your comfortable (not where you want your electric bill to be), some people have invested in cooling vests, cool (not cold) showers

Ahh...the heat and humidity of the South - very difficult not to get overheated in a short amount of time. I try to stay indoors as much as possible - have fans all around the house. Sometimes I "cheat" and don't wear all the compression undergarments - especially when I know I have to be out more than usual in the heat. Once overheated however, it takes awhile to re-group. I also become light-headed, weak, and nauseated. The temperature in the house stays at 78 degrees so, I sometimes find relief sitting in my car with the A/C on high!

Thank you so much for the ideas and encouragement. @hholmes13 - I'm not on any meds for the dysautonomia as yet. I was just diagnosed last year (though, as many have experienced in this forum, it had been going on for years with lots of misdiagnoses) If things do not improve with daily exercise, "tilt training" (AKA standing practice) and lots of salt and fluid, my MD at the Univ. of MN says we will consider adding a med this summer. Not thrilled to do that because I already feel so puffy with all the salt and fluid... And E Soskis, I live in Minnesota!! I really feel for you living in the southern heat and humidity! I did stick a couple of bottles of Propel in the freezer earlier and am keeping well-hydrated.

Hey you're in Minnesota too? :) I'm down near Rochester. I think part of the reason I've been faring so well this summer has been the fact that winter didn't want to let go until May. Even though I love summer, the heat is not my friend. I'm thankful I moved back near home from California before I got sick. I couldn't handle the 100+ temps all the time anymore. Good luck with finding some relief!!

Heat literaly controls my entire life. If i go into a warm building i have to get out no matter what. I cant work in any kind of heat above 70.

I cant go to church if its warm. I cant workout in the heat. I usually swim.

I cant go to social events if its going to be warm.

I live for the winters, but even then people crank up natural gas furnaces inside so id rather be outside or at home where i

keep the temp at 65 or below.

Nobody understands this of course.

I have heat and cold intolerance too. I was outside for two hours this morning in 80 degree heat and feel like death at the moment. I get tremors, chills, pressure feeling through my body, very weak, dizzy and nausea from the heat. I sometimes don't realize I am overheating until it is too late, which is what happened today. I take a tylenol and a xanax to help settle the tremors and then drinking lots of fluids and a little salt for the rest of the symptoms and wait them out. I think if a person hasn't experienced this, it can be hard to understand, but when you can see how sick I look during these spells, it is obvious I'm not well. I hate avoiding the heat because I love being outside, but the after effects of it, at times is challenging to get through.

This is 100% one of my worst symptoms. I also suffer from cold intolerance as well if I'm not on an SSRI. I will say that the heat intolerance is a tiny tiny bit better on the SSRI medication but i still suffer from it. I am no doctor but I think the idea is that the way the SSRI regulates your autonomic nervous system, with that, you get a little bit more temperature regulation as well becuase that is one of the key jobs of your autonomic nervous system- body temperature regulation. So its not a perfect solution but it could be something worth trying if you are super in the weeds with this. Again I am no Doc, but this has helped me so i talk only from experience.

Well, I definitely know where you are coming from here. I live in Florida, and the heat right now is ridiculous. I need to dig my turtle's pond, but even stepping outside makes me have to sit down lately, so that pond is... not dug yet lol. I keep tossing him in the kiddy pool instead, but maybe if I start really early...

Anyway, since I'm new to all of this, I don't have much advice on this subject. I just know that when I get in the heat, I feel like my body weighs a lot more, and it's all melting downward.

I don't particularly like the cold either. There seems to be a very small range of temperature where I feel comfortable