What Is Considered To Be A Low Heart Rate When Taking Clonidine?

My son is now taking .2mg of clonidine. He started taking this dosage on Wednesday night. His blood pressures are fine but his heart rate is bouncing all over the place. The lowest heat rate I've seen is 54 during the daytime hours but eventually goes all the way up to 97. When he gets up in the morning it's in the 70's. Is it normal for the heart rate to be up and down when starting this medication. The cardiologist did say this could be a side effect but I forgot to ask "What is too low?" Has anybody else experienced a low heart rate with this medication. Just wondering if this is a normal reaction when getting started on this medication. His blood pressures are taken when he is sitting in a recliner.

Thanks Corina. I have to send in his bp readings tonight to the cardiologist. His rates were not as low today, but I will be calling the doctor tomorrow.

Hi looneymom. That is a really good question and probably a pretty difficult one for someone to answer. Corina's answer is best. Your son's Cardiologist would be the one to set acceptable heart rate parameters. For myself since starting on clonidine in addition to the other medications my usual heart rate range is 60's-90's. Before medications it was 80's-150's. I hope your son's vital signs stabilize and you get your questions properly addressed tomorrow.

Janet

I did get my answer. It's ok for it to be this low, when he is resting. When he moves around in his wheelchair it comes back up. I am very fortunate to have a cardiologist that calls me directly. Starting tomorrow, I will be giving my son another dose midmorning. The cardiologist is hoping it will help him feel better during the daytime so he can sleep at night. Can't wait to see if it helps.

My son had physical therapy this morning and he was able to do the whole session. Still had some shaking, but at least it would stop so he could continue on. For that reason, the cardiologist wants to add a morning dose to see what happens. However, the cardiologist and I are disappointed that it didn't help with sleep. Just hope it's not causing problems at night. Brain fog is even worse when you can't get a good nights sleep.

That's great that you were able to have your question answered and what a blessing to have a Cardiologist that is so responsive. Not very many of them will call you at home. He sounds knowledgable and caring. That in and of itself is reassuring that this Cardiologist has your son's best interest at heart and will continue to work out an effective treatment plan. It usually takes some adjustments and or additions to get it just right.

I'm so glad to hear that PT is going well. Hopefully that additional dose of medication will help with the continued shaking. I am sorry the poor sleep situation has not yet improved. That can be challanging to manage and certainly poor sleep does have a negative effect on brain fog. Sounds as if you are moving in the right direction though and hopefully with a bit more time and adjustments those issues will improve.

Janet