Hand Swelling When Cooking

clairc

Hi!

I don't know if this is a POTS thing or not but recently I've noticed my hands swell up when I use them, especially when I'm cooking.

This morning I was making flapjacks with my daughter and PA, I was melting the butter in a pan on the hob when I noticed my fingers felt stiff and my hand had swollen right up. I was only stiring for about a minute (can't stand up much longer than that!). I've noticed it hapen other times I've been cooking and stiring things, like checking on pasta or stiring spaghetti sauce.

It's not exactly painfull but the pressure is uncomfortable and it's hard to move my fingers. Thankfull the swelling goes down after a few minutes if I stop what I'm doing.

It happens to a lesser extent when I do other things with my hands such as using scissors or playing my keyboard. My right hand is worse than my left, I'm right handed and do have issues with my right arm, chronic tennis elbow, shoulder impingement and a weird swelling of my upper arm but no-one knows why.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Clair

My son never had this problem until he had the flu back in January. It happens to him when he is typing on a key board. His hand from wrist down also changes to a different color. My son goes to occupational therapy and they gave him a pair of compression gloves to wear at night. This has been a big help.