Echocardiogram, Anyone?

AmberK

I've got my second tilt test next week, and am having an echocardiogram afterwards. I've been told that I will have a bed to rest in for an hour after the tilt test, but during and after my last tilt test I was very ill, so I'm mainly nervous about having to sit in a waiting room after my recovery period. I'm aware that an echo is the same equipment used for baby scans, and that I thankfully get to lay down during it, but I was surprised to hear it takes an hour. Has anyone else had an echocardiogram, and if so can you tell me a bit more about it, what to expect, and why it takes an hour? Thanks.

I've had an echocardiogram - it takes a bit of time depending on what all is being looked at. They did a bubble study to look for PFO (due to migraines), though it was negative. To do it, they agitate saline and inject a small quantity into a vein to be drawn into the heart. The idea is that bubbles will cross the heart through the PFO if it exists. It only took a few extra minutes to perform.

Most likely you're going to have a TTE, where they simply use a probe on your chest. The TEE they put the probe down the throat, and it gives a better image result, but it is generally only done when a good enough view can't be had by using the external probe. Sometimes the ribs/lungs get in the way of what they are trying to see.

Anyhow, with a TTE - they position the probe to take all sorts of images from a number of angles, to check out all the heart valves, chambers, tissue, as well as the flow of blood. I do recall sitting there for a period of time watching them take all the different angle captures. It isn't bad, at all, though - you're laying down and they put the gel on your chest which can be a little cold, but there really isn't much discomfort. Mine was also done in a dim room, so you should generally be able to relax, aside from maybe having to move a few times to let them get a better angle.

I just had an echocardiogram a couple of weeks ago. It was very simple and stress-free. Mine was scheduled for an hour but only took about 30 minutes (although I didn't have any of the extra stuff done that Zap mentioned.) You'll just be laying down in a dark room, so you should be pretty comfortable. You'll probably have to hold your breath at different points for images to be snapped, but nothing too bad.

Make sure you get a bag a saline after the TTT to help you recover! I don't know if you had that done after the first one, but it makes a world of difference and should help you feel better while you're waiting.

Good luck!

Thank you Zap and Lejones1. :) I don't know if they offer the saline after fainting at the TTT here in the UK,- I was simply wheeled back to the waiting room for my husband to take me home after the last one.This one is at a different hospital though, and they seem to be quite a few differences for preparation this time (no drink or food before the test, having a bed for an hour afterwards, etc.) The echo sounds fine, I'm pretty sure this is just an ordinary one, so maybe I can have a little kip for another hour while they're doing it ;) Thanks for putting my mind at rest.