Anyone Else Scared To Take Meds?

julieph85

Mixed feelings. My logical side says that pills are unnatural and we should find what we need from natural whole foods and herbs, etc. I have had HORRIBLE reactions/overreactions to many meds. Zoloft was the worst. I am telling you it was the darkest point in my life and it took 2 weeks to feel better. I am told this is impossible, but I was a shaky, crazy, muscle-jerking, eye twitching zombie for two weeks after stopping taking it. I ate nothing and lost 15 lbs in 14 days.

Anyway, I took Amitryptiline for a while to prevent headaches and had no side effects except I was starving all the time and got a little chunky :).

The only thing I take now is Xanax if I am going to a busy or loud restaurant because I am super sensitive to noisy, sensory stimulating environments. It just takes the edge off so that I can enjoy myself without having to try to filter out all of the noise. Seriously, how do people talk to each other in loud restaurants? I have the hardest time tuning out the so-called "background noise". It's like ever sound is at the same level of intensity - loud! All that noise competing for my attention makes me very sick - *sigh* Also, I have to take one to go shopping for clothes. The loud music makes me sick.. I cannot stay long enough to try anything on. I have to grab as many things as possible and get out of there before I start to feel sick.

I also take Magnesium with no side effects except a positive one in that it helps me to sleep. I always take less than the RDA for any vitamin however. Sorry I am rambling. This is a good place to ramble :)

Well I can certainly relate -- it mirrors exactly what I've been dealing with. For the past year or so, I have become allergic to almost everything new or even unused for a while -- so all antibiotics at this point are out. I even had an allergy to a calcium supplement, if severe body itching for hours is an allergy. But I don't think I should be so afraid. It's ridiculous I tell myself, when this might actually help me. The pots doctor has prescribed the same for me, but I really hesitate because of my occasional very high bp. But right now I have a regimen of new medicines waiting for me for everything. The best way I know to handle any of this is to take a small dose at first and see. I am one of those who read warnings and my endo gave me armour to replace the very ineffective synthroid with the warning that it could cause palpitations at any time, so of course it has made me hesitant. Still, I think the best thing to do is to try things and see. Before I had some bad reactions, I wasn't scared to take anything. I think those bad experiences just color everything but somethings will really help. I do think since the pots, I have become more sensitive to everything -- my moods, gravity, adrenaline, pills-- so I am trying to respect that by trying to take less.