Riboflavin For Headaches?

Enid

Had a neuro follow up appointment this afternoon - my tachycardia and palpitations have been much better since starting a low dose of nadalol about 5 months ago, but I shared that I was having nearly daily headaches that are impacting work and life in general.

Doc suggested I could either try high dose riboflavin (400 mg per day) or amitryptiline - I went with the riboflavin. Found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15257686, but wondering if anyone else had had good results.

Doctor said side effects are neon yellow urine, but given all the wonky thing that POTS brings on, glow in the dark pee seems almost fitting!

I haven't given Riboflavin a good try. Attempted to for a week or two when I was having a bad round of headaches and couldn't tell if it made them more frequent. Anyway, I have researched it along with other natural treatments for migraines. If you try it, you are supposed to give it about 12 weeks to see full effects if it helps. It is a mitochondrial enhancer. Other supplements used to treat headaches are magnesium (at least 400 mg a day), COq10 (100 mg 3x a day), herbs such as feverfew and butterbur, and sometimes Omega 3-fish oil supplements. If you google Riboflavin (or B2) at WebMd and search migraines/headaches, you will find some patient feedback. Some patients said they found better results with divided doses throughtout the day.

I am trying magnesium and feverfew now but have the B2 on hand to add back in soon.

Amitryptilline works well for some and I may try it too. My neuro thought I might have too much additional fatigue using it. We tried Pamelor (a similar tricyclic antidepressant) and I didn't tolerate that too well but no lasting side effects.

Thanks for the input LMJ - I am starting the B2 tomorrow so will keep the 12 week window in mind. I have feverfew running rampant in my garden, perhaps I should start cultivating it for my own use! Good luck to you with your treatments...