Ivig Treatment And Prognosis In Guillain–Barré Syndrome- More Importantly How Igg Level Are Important In Recovery

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2883091/

GBS and CIDP are the same illness but CIDP is the chronic form. CIDP is like dysautonomia on to the extreme. They have dysautonomia/small fiber neuropathy but on top of that they large fiber neuropathy as well that weakens their muscles like a typical neuromuscular disease. Their first line of defense, to rebuild fibers both small and large is IVIG, because their neuropathy is caused by the immune system.

This study is important because like me a few ppl on here have said they also tested low for IgG and this study points to recovery speed and effectiveness being related to IgG levels after IVIG is given. So if a patient has low IgG levels before they get IVIG and then 2 weeks later their IgG levels are retested and have not gone up then its related to worser outcomes.

Now most of don't have this illness, but many of us that the small fiber neuropathy component of this illness. So if you do manage to get IVIG then just wanted to make you aware.

My dad got GBS from a flu shot and he has never fully recovered from it. He has the severe muscle weakness. He did do this treatment and it really made very little difference for him. He also has AS and known autoimmune issues. Genetically, possibly one is pre-disposed to having issues like this. So, whether or not something triggers it and you get it - if you genetically inherited the gene ---remains to be seen. Was it the flu vaccine what triggered this in my dad? We may never know --what comes first. Some of us, genetically, got dealt a bad hand. :)

Issie

Guest mattgreen

Rich, can you explain IgG a little. What prompted your doctor to test for this? Is it routine or was there a specific reason for them to be tested? How low is low?

Thanks

Yeah, he did. Several times - in fact. Didn't do a blame thing for him that we could tell. Of course, he pulled through it. But, he still has some major issues. He was talked into it by his doctor and decided to take the risk. I've seen all sides of autoimmune. It's not something new to me or something I haven't researched.

What subset level of your IGG is low, Rich? I'm low on subset level IGG 1.

Issie