Squat/stand Test; Cardia Autonomic Neuropathy; Chiropractor?

joyagh

many questions:

If I do my own squat/stand test (the best new test for CAN - better than tilt table), what do I look for in HR & BP? I'm using a wrist BP/pulse monitor. The test is done 1 minutes standing, one minute squatting, and 1 minutes standing again, checking HR & BP throughout. With my wrist monitor, I can only check once, maybe twice, during each posture. Here's the study about the test and the graph.

I did it tonight but was on beta blockers and a Klonopin. I got 106/65, 71 BPM during standing; 120/71, 71 BPM squatting, and 106/71, 78 BPM on squat to stand transition. any interpretations? I'll try again in the AM before I take my meds. I'll try for 2 readings in each posture.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1262363611001649

from the graph it looks like for healthy and non-CAN people, BP is stable (115 systolic) during stand, then the BP increase (150 systolic) on squatting is transient - less than 20 seconds and then it returns to pre-squat BP. On squat to stand transition, BP drops (to 70 systolic) for less than 30 seconds and returns to pre-stand BP. For CAN people, the BP increase on squat stays up for the full squat duration and continues to rise a bit (150-155), and then stays low for the full squat-stand transition, and even drops a bit more (85-75).

HR seems to stay more stable for CAN people, staying at 85bpm during stand, then dropping to 75 bpm during the full squat and jumping back to 85 bpm and staying there during squat-stand transition) but for healthy people, it drops significantly for 10-20 seconds at the start of the squat (to 55bpm), returning to slightly less than normal in 30 seconds (75-85bpm), then goes up to about 120BPM for about 20 seconds on the squat-stand transition, returning to normal (90 bpm) within 30 seconds. It seems the change in HR trigger the baroreflex in healthy people and CAN people don't get that and therefore we don't get the benefit of efficient BP stabilizers.

So what kind of doctor treats CAN? My neurologist wouldn't do the squat test. He said cardiologist.

And can chiropractic help CAN? I mean, I had a car accident 15 years ago with spinal injuries and chronic neck & neck problems since. But my POTS started after a flu during pregnancy. So I dunno if spinal/nerve damage is causing this or autoimmune or what.

I did the squat/stand test again this AM. took 2 readings in each position about 1-2 minutes apart. I graphed them and they look like the CAN patient's graphs, although less marked - more gentle appearing on the graph. I didn't have any of the spikes or drops that the healthy groups had.

I had a stable, even 10 point rise in systolic BP from stand to squat, and a 10 point stable drop on squat/stand transition. My HR started around 68-70, dropped to 58-60 during the squat, and back to 67-70 during squat/stand transition.

Of course, by beta blockers are still affecting me this morning, but my results seem to mimic the CAN results.

I heard this morning from a Doctor's webcast that if your BP doesn't rise by 10 points both systolic and diastolic when going from sitting to standing, there's an autonomic problem. My BP didn't change at all. I did it 2-3 times. Only once I got a 5 point change in both sys & diastolic, but the other 2 times, no change at all. even after 3 minutes standing. this could be the beta blockers.