Update On Post Cortisone Shot And Pots

lynnie22

I posted a couple of weeks ago about whether I should get a cortisone shot for a torn rotator cuff with a lot of pain. For weeks I tried to get pain meds unsuccessfully, and tried some PT also unsuccessful -- so I finally got the injection yesterday.

OUCH. The pain after the novacaine wears off is excruciating. But moreso -- I was concerned whether Cortisone, seeming to be related to our adrenals,( although the orthopoedist denied the relationship) would create trouble for my autonomic nervous system, especially my blood pressure. And what other effects it might have.

Day two and my blood pressure has been going up a lot suddenly. I have this problem anyway, but usually two days a month. This is definitely an effect of the cortisone. The doctor denied this to be a possibility.

Most of you who answered seemed to have done okay with the interaction. For me, at least as far as after pain and blood pressure, it hasn't been great. I am waiting to see if it will help.

It is terrible that no one will give you pain medication here.

I'm so sorry to hear that Lynnie. I am considering a cortisone injection too as I've got a herniated disc (lower back) that needs surgery but as my husband and I have arranged a trip overseas the surgery has to wait. I am a low flow POTS (most likely, not officially diagnosed) so I hope it won't conflict with my dysautonomia.

Hope you will be doing better soon and that it will soon start to have a good effect on the pain you are in.

Hi Lynnie,

So sorry you are feeling bad. Have you tried ice or a heating pad? Maybe alternating would help. I have been told from a couple of doctors, to keep my son away from anything that contains steriods.

However when my son gets croup, he has to have prednisone to get over it. These medicines can mess up the nervous system. Keep track of medicines that help and hurt. Its one way to avoid some severe flares from POTS. There are some studies out on fish oil and nerve pain Google fish oil studes with nerve pain. Hope this helps.