Skin Rash In The Sun

sbtalbott

Hi all-

I have a strange question for you all. I am 47 years old, was diagnosed with POTS/EDS about 7 years ago, but have been symptomatic since my teens. One thing that I've never really associated with my disease but now wonder if it may be part of the whole complex is a strange rash I've always gotten when I stay in the sun for any extended amount of time. My family (Mother, sisters, grandparents) were all olive complexion and could tan easily. I could have been a "ginger". Very pale skin, but dark hair. When I'm out in the sun for any extended time, I get a rash on my chest, thighs, and arms that resemble poison ivy, itches and lasts for 2-3 days. My family used to joke that I was "allergic" to the sun. It doesn't matter if I use sun screen or not (I thought I was allergic to PABA and would only use PABA free...still get it). My 17 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with POTS/EDS also, and also gets the same rash that I do in the sun. She also has a pale complexion with dark hair and blue eyes (Her dad is of Irish decent). Anyone else get these strange rashes? It doesn't seem to relate to the heat of things. I get the rash in cool weather if the area is exposed to the sun (like forearms).

Thanks for your input-

Kaye

You said your family used to joke that you're allergic to the sun, but that's actually a real thing! I have a friend who gets hives if she spends too long in the sun and it's definitely a sun allergy, not heat. I'm not sure if it's even connected to skin tone, because she tans quite easily. I just Googled it (http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/25934.html) and it seems to be at least partially hereditary so that could explain why your daughter has it too. I've heard of this in other people as well and don't know that it's connected to POTS at all.