High-Pitched Noises, Like Scraping Fingernails On Chalkboard

spinner

Im back working, attempting to do 8 hour shifts in a supposed "lower stress environment". Right away I've faced some classic obstacles:

-heat issues (the women in the office love to keep the heat blasting at 75 degrees), shouting bosses, pressure to learn new software, temptations to eat junkfood on the run, and making sure to stay hydrated and avoid coffee).

The BIGGEST problem has been surprising. While at home or being self employed, I was never exposed to this.

COUNTING CHANGE in the office doing end of day reports employees are dropping coins into moneyboxes. Sounds minor, but its like my sympathetic and autonomic nervous systems are going on hyperdrive, --its as my head is made out of glass and somebody is slamming an ice pick into it.

I also struggle with shouting from the bosses office. He's very volatile. He gets into arguments with vendors and I pray somebody shuts the door. Thank goodness theres no music being "piped" in. Ive noticed at certain businesses where younger people work they BLAST rock music (ran into that this week at 7-11 where its about 80 degrees in there and theyre playing crappy pop music at about 90 decibels).

Anybody else battling various weird noise issues at work that they can avoid at home?

Absolutely! There are certain sounds and pitches that I cannot tolerate. I have a family member who uses a back massager that props up into the back of the chair. When it is turned on, the vibration not only extends to the back but, out into the room - I guess it is the frequency or pitch of the noise but, it makes my head explode. I almost feel like I'm going to be nauseated and vomit just from the sound. I usually have to get up and leave the room. I've also noticed that when it is generally quiet in the room and an unexpected loud noise lets loose (telephone ringing, dog barking, someone drops something, etc), my startle reflex is so hyper that I feel like I am crawling out of my skin. I jump and my heart rhythm will become irregular for a few moments to minutes - very disconcerting.....

Of course, these are all home noises. I actually tolerate work noises better. I used to work in a busy, chaotic ER with all types of loud sounds and screams. For the past few years, I'm sequestered in an office with few staff and little noise. It is much calmer, quieter, and I enjoy not having the stress of distress all around me. The only drawback is that the office is directly outside part of the mainetnance department and they have to run generators, test engines, crank up tractors and various other mechanical sounds periodically during the day. These are disturbing and I have been known to go out and beg them to stop or move elsewhere than right outside my door!

Oh yes! This is a hard one to cope with. I'm sorry Spinner that you are having to deal with this at work. I'm home every day so I can control most of my surroundings and the sounds that go with it. Unfortunately this is just another lovely POTS symptom. I ALWAYS carry earplugs where ever I go. They are not very comfortable, but it's better than the alternative. It's just amazing to me that sounds can cause a potsi reaction.