Deep Breathing

I recently took another tilt table test preceded by a valsalva and deep breathing test. This time I was off my atenolol and florinef for more than two days as the doctor thought it may have skewed my prior test results.

I felt fairly weak going in, possibly due to withdrawal from the meds. During my previous test I had no problems with the breathing exercises. This time was another matter though. I felt weak and struggled with the deep breathing. When I took the valsalva however, I was miserable. I couldn't blow for very long the first time. The technician allowed me to wait 15-20 minutes before trying again. During the second reading, I was able to blow for 15 seconds but on recovery I felt like my head was going to explode and I grabbed my head and almost rolled off the table in a complete reflex mode. It was probably the worst feeling I have ever experienced. Somehow, I kind of recovered and grudgingly agreed to the tilt table test.

Surprisingly, I was able to last 13 minutes after almost asking to stop immediately after the tilt. I had a lightheaded feeling the entire time like I was going to pass out any moment but managed to stay conscious. I also felt a weird kind of pins and needles feeling in my face and my hands and feet felt numb. The tech indicated that my heart rate went to 157 at one point and my blood pressure fluctuated all over the place during the test. She finally stopped the test when by blood pressure dropped below 90/50 (or to stop the torture for me).

Has anyone had a similar experience with the breathing test? This was a piece of cake for me last time but I could barely tolerate it this time. The head sensations I get makes me wonder if I have something serious going on beyond POTS or dysautonomia. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My reaction to the breathing tests weren't as severe as yours but I definitely experienced the sensations you are describing. My TTTs were very similar to your's as well. Resting HR of 65 then went straight to 145 on the tilt. Went into full presyncope mode with limbs and face tingling, knees buckling, profuse sweating. Never passed out on either one. BP had a couple of sharp drops and jumps. They took pity on you. Apparently, in this neck of the woods, they don't lay you down unless you pass out or you tell them to lay you down so I was like that for a full 45 minutes both times. I had to be wheeled to the car in a wheel chair both tomes.