Handicap Placard

So I'm thinking about breaking down and asking my doctor for a script for a handicap placard for my car. The parking garage where I work is not only very full this time of year, but it is three stories tall, a long walk from the building and has no elevators. Instead, they've just cordoned off most of the first floor nearest the building for handicap parking spaces. I hadn't even considered this before, but lately I'm having a hard time walking long distances (especially when they involve stairs) and I'm out of breath, exhausted and my HR is through the roof by the time I get to the building/my car.

The walk never bothered me before I was diagnosed with POTS but lately it's been torture. Has anyone else run into a similar situation? Has your doctor been supportive of such a request?

I admit I feel badly even asking because I feel like there are people out there who are "sicker" than me, but a recent experience caused such a flare it really got me thinking about how "unfriendly" the structure is to those with less "obvious" disabilities. It seems like this is the best answer at this time...

Any thoughts or experience with this kind of thing would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jen

Jen, do not hesitate to ask your Dr for placard. It's not worth getting into a situation that puts more stress on you. I know it's one of those things that may hurt our pride a bit, but remember, just because others may not see on obvious disability, it's there. I have had a placard for some time now, and it has been so helpful. Not only for me, but also for my husband. He feels more comfortable taking me places, knowing I am less likely to have an episode.

I did it when I had just my POTS dx and was having trouble with dizziness after having to stand in line at grocery store, pharmacy, etc. Since then I have also been dx'ed with mcas and eds and now that I can park closer, I realize how much I was struggling with parking farther away. I don't know if you've ever read the spoon theory but if you have it's like getting one of my spoons back on days I feel well enough to run my errands. It allows me to maybe do 3 errands instead of just 2. If you feel like need it you should ask for it.

I am so glad I said yes when my doctor offered me one years ago. He knew something was wrong(I was not offically dx) and when I fell holding my then infant daughter in his parking lot he gave me the form. For several years I just had in my car door. Now it is the only way I would ever be able to go to my kids school events, do any light shopping on a good day or get out on my own.

If I go out with my husband and there is a close space but not handicapped, we use that. If I have hubby to hang on to(I have balance issues/EDS) I can make it in the store. If I feel okay or at ceratin stores I use regular spots.

I live in a retirement town and some senior citizens have yelled (and used some pretty nasty language) over the years at me. A few times I have cried over what has been said but I know it is the only way I can get out. One bad day when I dragged myself out of bed to get .15 a bottle powerade at a mega sale, a man screamed at me. He had a cane and said that a pretty young thing like me didn't deserve the spot, he had a cane from hip surgery at age 70. He rambled on about all the things (camping travel etc) he did at age 20,30,40.I normally would have walked away but I slipped off my clogs and put my pulse-oximeter on and he watched my feet go bluish and my pulse hit 180+ and I explained Ill never get a chance to hike or travel. He felt really bad and went in the store and helped me get the powerade. I will never again look twice at who parks in handicap spots or who uses the electric carts (another huge sore spot in town, seniors will scream at young people who use electric carts). There are many reason like kidney failure that you can't see.

I can't thank you enough for giving me the encouragement to do this. You are right: I am concerned because our disability is less obvious than others' and I am afraid of the nasty things I know people will say. That said, it will make my life SO much easier/safer. And I am convinced that, at least twice now, the long cold walks have added to a couple of flare ups I've experienced.

As usual, I'm SO thankful to have the support of all of you here. Thank you, thank you!

-Jen

I have only had one person say something to me in the year since I got mine. I, in a pleasant voice, told the woman that I have a neuro-cardiac issue that puts me at risk of fainting if I am standing up for too long so unless she was prepared to call an ambulance for me, I needed to finish my conversation with her and grab my groceries as quickly as possible. She apologized and left me alone.