My Pots Symptoms Are Worsening. Any Suggestions?

lynnie22

Hi All,

Over the past few days, I have developed a rapid heart beat from the moment I wake up (it can wake me up -- 100 or more), which of course increases by 40 or 50 bpm when I stand. My blood pressure, in any position when I wake up is so low I cannot take my usual beta blocker to manage. I drink plenty of fluids, salt and still it takes hours before the bp is over 90. I don't know what to do. I go to work, but can't stand upright to get there. The doctors cannot advise me, at least the ones I have. I am scheduled to be retested in two weeks. I have begun to wear the compression stockings but so far see no difference. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help.

lynnie

Canned soups are a good way to get fluids and sodium at the same time. Also, either raising the top of your bed a few inches or sleeping on a wedge or propped up on pillows at night is recommended to help your body to not drop BP too low from lying flat. It also makes you have less of an orthostatic change when getting up in the morning. Get as much rest as possible ...that may mean compromising some things like only dusting/vacuuming every other week so you can use that as nap time or skipping an activity to take a nap but its important to listen to your body. Try using a stool to sit on to do things like brush your teeth and doing hair and makeup in the morning and doing dishes or prepping food for cooking. This helps me get through my day a lot. Any time you can sit with your legs propped up (even under your desk at work if you can manage). It allows me to feel much less exhausted by day's end cause I have blood pooling even just sitting so propping my legs takes some strain off my heart trying to get the blood where it needs to be. Hope some of these help you to feel a little better.