Domperidone A Treatment For Oh

anna

Now why on earth did my children's Dysautomnia Dr. never mention that the fact that my 3 children are taken Domperidone 2-3 times a day for gastroparisis might acualy be helping with their OH?! and why oh why was said Dr. talking about reducing this med to use when their gastroparisis is bad?!

I found this article explained something about domperidone that I never had a clue about.

TI
Peripheral dopaminergic blockade for the treatment of diabetic orthostatic hypotension.
AU
Lopes de Faria SR, Zanella MT, Andriolo A, Ribeiro AB, Chacra AR
SO
Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1988;44(6):670.
This study was designed to evaluate the effects of domperidone, a peripheral dopaminergic antagonist, in diabetic patients with symptomatic orthostatic hypotension. Nine patients were admitted to the hospital, placed on a diet containing 150 mEq sodium, and studied for periods of 4 hours, on different days, in the following conditions: (1) supine position, (2) upright posture (UP), (3) UP after 10 mg domperidone, intravenously in bolus, and (4) UP after 3 days of domperidone, 30 mg orally. Before domperidone the mean blood pressure observed in supine position of 132 +/- 37/75 +/- 6 mm Hg fell to 75 +/- 22/57 +/- 13 mm Hg after 2 hours in UP. Acute domperidone did not change the blood pressure response to UP. After 3 days of oral domperidone and in UP for 2 hours, the mean blood pressure value of 89 +/- 21/61 +/- 8 mm Hg was higher than that before domperidone (p less than 0.05), with relief of symptoms in all patients. This blood pressure response to UP has been maintained in six patients who completed 6 months of therapy. No differences were observed in plasma renin activity, aldosterone, sodium, and potassium and in 4-hour urinary excretion of aldosterone, epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine, determined during the UP tests. Administration of domperidone for 3 days reduced the falls in creatinine clearance and the urinary excretion of sodium and potassium induced by UP but did not alter the blood pressure and aldosterone dose-response curves to angiotensin II. Although the mechanism of action is not defined, it is concluded that domperidone is effective for the treatment of orthostatic hypotension in patients with diabetes.
AD
Division of Endocrinology, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Sao Paulo, Brazil.