"sudden Exertion" Syndrome

spinner

I do fairly well at managing my lifestyle, which means avoiding triggers like the plague. Various triggers have included sleep apnea, food allergies, getting dehydrated, adrenal insufficiency, vitamin b deficinecy ALCOHOL, caffeine, aspartame, etc.

But nothing completely wastes me like sudden exertion (a quick sudden spike in blood pressure)---especially combined with high heat situations.

Anyone else dealing with this?

I used to be a tennis player, which is a sport all about sudden rapid explosive movements, and then periods of rest. I havnt hit a tennis ball in over two years. I do walk five or six days a week, starting out at a slow steady pace, working my way up, but never fast. Ocassionally i break into a fairly slow jog at intervals being careful not to spike my blood pressure suddenly.

At Mayo I was terrified of doing the stress test. I didnt finish it. Thankfully they let me start somewhat slowly.

Ive seen several people on here who describe "re-learning how to breathe" as their number one symptom. My problems with it have lessened with cpap, however im still careful to avoid situations that require sudden exertion. Ive already decided if i get a flat tire in the middle of summer i'll call a tow truck. Cant do it anymore.

But to describe the feeling of sudden exertion syndrome, i tell people it feels as if I was just injected with a toxic poison, and that my body has turned into a thin pane of glass that is about to shatter. Every nerve ending feels weak and fatigued. I struggle to breathe, and sometimes have to get in the bed for 24 hours because thats the usual recovery period.

Anybody else?

yes, this is exactly me. I have been a ballet and modern dancer since I was 10. POTS developed during pregnancy after a flu for me (I was still teaching ballet and doing massage afterward the flu with lots of symptoms that got progressively worse but were all chalked up to pregnancy). I can manage daily pretty well now with mild symptoms with beta blockers. But mild-moderate exertion is my biggest problem. If I take a dance class, I'm wiped out for 3 days. the shattered glass and weak, shaky nerves is a right-on for a description. I did 2 massages in one day and was wasted for 3 days. I get super out of breath when my HR goes over 110, which happens with mild-mod exertion. I've always pushed myself physically - I worked on a trail crew in northern California - and have always done physical work besides dancing; massage, waitressing, etc. and lots of outdoor physical activity. not anymore. :(