A New Study Out About Pots And Nitric Oxide

sue1234

Last year I saw an EP doc who said, "if your BP and HR are fine, you have nothing to worry about.". This is the same guy who said, "POTS is just a nuisance and not a serious condition." This guy has a daughter w Neurocardiogenic Syncope and is known in my town by many as the go to doc for autonomic dysfunction. Needless to say that was my last visit with him. But I am reminded of that cardiologist as I read this abstract. And hope that someday he reads this or other research that makes this point.

This is excellent clinical evidence that the cardiac issues we have are secondary to our underlying problems which involve dysfunction of the nervous system by one mechanism or another, although we all really knew that to begin with. (Involvement of NO is unclear here.) It proves the local doc's words wrong and points out why cardiologists are not equipped, for the most part- unless specially trained in autonomic dysfunction- to deal w folks like us. The cardiac issues we have are secondary We can be extremely symptomatic with or without Hemodynamic change. And, because cardiology is light years ahead of neurology in terms of it's development and ability to assess, diagnose and treat patients- there we all are stuck in the middle of two schools of science with one saying, "It's not a heart issue" and the other saying, "we don't know enough yet about the nervous system to really understand it."

Last year I saw an EP doc who said, "if your BP and HR are fine, you have nothing to worry about.". This is the same guy who said, "POTS is just a nuisance and not a serious condition." This guy has a daughter w Neurocardiogenic Syncope and is known in my town by many as the go to doc for autonomic dysfunction. Needless to say that was my last visit with him. But I am reminded of that cardiologist as I read this abstract. And hope that someday he reads this or other research that makes this point.

This is excellent clinical evidence that the cardiac issues we have are secondary to our underlying problems which involve dysfunction of the nervous system by one mechanism or another, although we all really knew that to begin with. (Involvement of NO is unclear here.) It proves the local doc's words wrong and points out why cardiologists are not equipped, for the most part- unless specially trained in autonomic dysfunction- to deal w folks like us. The cardiac issues we have are secondary We can be extremely symptomatic with or without Hemodynamic change. And, because cardiology is light years ahead of neurology in terms of it's development and ability to assess, diagnose and treat patients- there we all are stuck in the middle of two schools of science with one saying, "It's not a heart issue" and the other saying, "we don't know enough yet about the nervous system to really understand it."

Keep in mind though what your cardiologist said was extremely insensitive, you have to have the perspective they have. They see people with conditions that are literally killing them, though it's still no excuse to have empathy lacking.

Yes. You are right. I didn't present w a life threatening heart condition, and his words were insensitive. I think my main point though may have been lost w my description of his message. Sorry to confuse.

The key point is current research and clinical assessment overwhelmingly focuses on hemodynamics as a measurement for Dysautonomia. Yes, it is helpful to diagnose and assess the presence of autonomic dysfunction but any cardiac measure is secondary and should be considered secondary in a clinical setting. This abstract is good clinical evidence for that. Perhaps I'll send a copy to him. :)

• 2 weeks later...